SCO Unix error: "No room on device hd(41)"; won't mount - Unix

This is a discussion on SCO Unix error: "No room on device hd(41)"; won't mount - Unix ; Hi All: I'm new here and I have a drastic problem: Our mail server is running SCO Unix Open Server v5.0.4, and has gotten filled up to total capacity. We were able to get the machine running, but loading would ...

  1. SCO Unix error: "No room on device hd(41)"; won't mount

    Hi All:

    I'm new here and I have a drastic problem:

    Our mail server is running SCO Unix Open Server v5.0.4, and has gotten
    filled up to total capacity. We were able to get the machine running, but
    booted from the recovery floppies using the floppy root files sytem, and
    we are only able to mount /dev/hd0root as Read Only.

    Great. We can LOOK at what the problem is, but we can't 'allieviate the
    pressure'...

    We have tried -m (not available), -o nolog,nochkpt but are unable to get
    the files system to mount RW (HTFS).

    We also have other valuable data we would like to get at, too. How can we
    mount the drive in RW mode so we can delete some files and get going again.

    Also, please, before admonishing us about old software,etc, my boss and I
    walked into this situation after 3 years of the guy who set up the
    system's leaving; he's been here 18 months and me a year. We're working on
    a solution but aren't ready for implementation yet.

    We knew this day was coming, but the pursestrings are tight...

  2. Re: SCO Unix error: "No room on device hd(41)"; won't mount

    Hachiroku writes:

    > Our mail server is running SCO Unix Open Server v5.0.4,

    > We knew this day was coming, but the pursestrings are tight...

    Could always take a play out of SCO's financial playbook -- sue a
    bigger fish for copyright infringement and hope to god it resulted in
    a settlement. ;-)

    Sorry, couldn't resist. I'd help if I had any SCO experience. Hope
    you solve your problem.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: SCO Unix error: "No room on device hd(41)"; won't mount

    On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 19:53:40 +0000, Hachiroku wrote:

    > Hi All:
    >
    > I'm new here and I have a drastic problem:
    >
    > Our mail server is running SCO Unix Open Server v5.0.4, and has gotten
    > filled up to total capacity. We were able to get the machine running, but
    > booted from the recovery floppies using the floppy root files sytem, and
    > we are only able to mount /dev/hd0root as Read Only.
    >
    > Great. We can LOOK at what the problem is, but we can't 'allieviate the
    > pressure'...
    >
    > We have tried -m (not available), -o nolog,nochkpt but are unable to get
    > the files system to mount RW (HTFS).
    >
    > We also have other valuable data we would like to get at, too. How can we
    > mount the drive in RW mode so we can delete some files and get going again.
    >
    > Also, please, before admonishing us about old software,etc, my boss and I
    > walked into this situation after 3 years of the guy who set up the
    > system's leaving; he's been here 18 months and me a year. We're working on
    > a solution but aren't ready for implementation yet.
    >
    > We knew this day was coming, but the pursestrings are tight...

    Interesting solution: We just let it blow through the error messages and
    got a prompt.

    For osme reason this was NOT working on Friday, but worked on Monday.

    So, our server is up and running because we had company info on it, but we
    have off-loaded e-mail to a different facility.

+ Reply to Thread