Net Mask - Unix

This is a discussion on Net Mask - Unix ; Suppose i wanted to have a subnet of IBM's network that could support having 1000 hosts on it. What would the netmask need to be? Ans: I Calculated netmask i got "255.255.64.0" is it correct...

  1. Net Mask

    Suppose i wanted to have a subnet of IBM's network that could
    support having 1000 hosts on it. What would the netmask need to be?

    Ans: I Calculated netmask i got "255.255.64.0" is it correct

  2. Re: Net Mask

    In article <1162431996.862306.248080@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>,
    v2desperado@gmail.com wrote:

    > Suppose i wanted to have a subnet of IBM's network that could
    > support having 1000 hosts on it. What would the netmask need to be?
    >
    > Ans: I Calculated netmask i got "255.255.64.0" is it correct

    Don't post the same question in multiple newsgroups. If you must,
    cross-post rather than multi-posting.

    This question isn't really on-topic for ANY Unix newsgroup, so it's
    certainly not on-topic for two of them.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: Net Mask

    v2desperado@gmail.com writes:
    >Suppose i wanted to have a subnet of IBM's network that could
    > support having 1000 hosts on it. What would the netmask need to be?

    >Ans: I Calculated netmask i got "255.255.64.0" is it correct

    Your netmask only supports 512 hosts, and is a bit strange.
    Typically, netmasks look something like 256-(2^x) in each octet.

    Its easiest to visualize what netmasks do by writing them out as
    binary, and realize that netmasks are ANDed with IP addresses to
    determine if the IP addresses fall within a given subnet or not.

  4. Re: Net Mask

    v2desperado@gmail.com wrote:
    > Suppose i wanted to have a subnet of IBM's network that could
    > support having 1000 hosts on it. What would the netmask need to be?
    >
    > Ans: I Calculated netmask i got "255.255.64.0" is it correct

    Just put it back the way it was before somebody finds out.