Newbie Question - How to send mail w/o sendmail running in Solaris 10 - Unix

This is a discussion on Newbie Question - How to send mail w/o sendmail running in Solaris 10 - Unix ; Can we send email without "sendmail" process running in Solaris 10 ? I know we can do it in Solaris 8 using SMTP via the mail relay host. We tried it in our Solaris 10 (118833-22) server and received the ...

  1. Newbie Question - How to send mail w/o sendmail running in Solaris 10

    Can we send email without "sendmail" process running in Solaris 10 ? I
    know we can do it in Solaris 8 using SMTP via the mail relay host.
    We tried it in our Solaris 10 (118833-22) server and received the
    following error :

    # atlantis@scubadiving.com Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
    atlantis@scubadiving.com ... Deferred: Connection refused by
    [127.0.0.1]

    Our sendmail version is 8.13.4. Any idea how we can trouble shoot this
    ?

    Thanks,

    Bill

  2. Re: Newbie Question - How to send mail w/o sendmail running in Solaris 10

    In article <1161970635.838296.15020@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.c om>,
    underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote:

    > Can we send email without "sendmail" process running in Solaris 10 ? I
    > know we can do it in Solaris 8 using SMTP via the mail relay host.
    > We tried it in our Solaris 10 (118833-22) server and received the
    > following error :
    >
    > # atlantis@scubadiving.com Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
    > atlantis@scubadiving.com ... Deferred: Connection refused by
    > [127.0.0.1]

    The problem here is that you don't have the mail relay host set
    correctly. It's set to 127.0.0.1, which is the local host. But since
    sendmail isn't running, this connection fails. You need to set the
    relay host to some machine that IS running an SMTP server -- maybe your
    ISP has a mail relay that you should use.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: Newbie Question - How to send mail w/o sendmail running in Solaris10

    Barry Margolin wrote:
    > In article <1161970635.838296.15020@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.c om>,
    > underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> Can we send email without "sendmail" process running in Solaris 10 ? I
    >> know we can do it in Solaris 8 using SMTP via the mail relay host.
    >> We tried it in our Solaris 10 (118833-22) server and received the
    >> following error :
    >>
    >> # atlantis@scubadiving.com Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
    >> atlantis@scubadiving.com ... Deferred: Connection refused by
    >> [127.0.0.1]

    > The problem here is that you don't have the mail relay host set
    > correctly. It's set to 127.0.0.1, which is the local host. But since
    > sendmail isn't running, this connection fails. You need to set the
    > relay host to some machine that IS running an SMTP server -- maybe your
    > ISP has a mail relay that you should use.

    IMHO the problem is that the recent sendmails designed that way.
    And sendmail -bv is broken, too.

    From Sun BugID 4850990:
    Synopsis: New sendmail.cf stops outgoing mail unless running -bd
    Work Around:
    Either run /usr/lib/sendmail -bd, or put back the old config file.

    --
    Michael Tosch @ hp : com

+ Reply to Thread