permissions problem - Unix

This is a discussion on permissions problem - Unix ; Hi All I am working on solaris 10 machine. I have a query that what would happen if i change the permissions of all the files in the /etc/ directory to .... $chmod 777 * I was unable to rlogin ...

  1. permissions problem

    Hi All

    I am working on solaris 10 machine.
    I have a query that what would happen if i change the permissions of
    all the files in the /etc/ directory to ....

    $chmod 777 *

    I was unable to rlogin onto the system after this happened and i
    rebooted the system.
    Is this problem is in anyway related to the change in file permission.

    Thanks,
    ManIsh.

  2. Re: permissions problem

    In article <4sv614-kns.ln1@don.localnet>,
    Bill Marcum wrote:

    > On 26 Oct 2006 05:55:17 -0700, manish
    > wrote:
    > > Hi All
    > >
    > > I am working on solaris 10 machine.
    > > I have a query that what would happen if i change the permissions of
    > > all the files in the /etc/ directory to ....
    > >
    > > $chmod 777 *
    > >
    > > I was unable to rlogin onto the system after this happened and i
    > > rebooted the system.
    > > Is this problem is in anyway related to the change in file permission.
    > >

    > chmod 777 would remove setuid, setgid and the sticky bit from all files.

    So? There shouldn't be any executable files in /etc.

    > Also, for security reasons, login might fail if the shadow password file
    > (/etc/shadow in Linux but may be different in other OS) has world
    > read/write permission.

    That's probably it.

    There's probably a message in the log complaining about permissions.

    > Solaris might also have a script that checks file permissions before
    > starting a multiuser runlevel. Check the system logs.

    I think he implied that the system came up to multiuser, and he simply
    wasn't able to rlogin.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA