do you need a partition table - Unix

This is a discussion on do you need a partition table - Unix ; I'm setting up a large storage area off a redhat server on a raid 5 array. My question is pretty simple, do I really need a partition table or should I just create a file system on the entire device ...

  1. do you need a partition table

    I'm setting up a large storage area off a redhat server on a raid 5
    array.

    My question is pretty simple, do I really need a partition table or
    should I just create a file system on the entire device /dev/sda ?

    I can do either the whole device (sda) or create one huge partition
    (sda1) but am not sure of the pro's and con's of either one sometime in
    the future when perhaps I want to add more drives, or bigger drives.

    Advice?

  2. Re: do you need a partition table

    big chris wrote:
    > My question is pretty simple, do I really need a partition table or
    > should I just create a file system on the entire device /dev/sda ?

    Chris,

    technically said, you don't need a partitiontable.

    But anyhow, it's a good idea to create one on the drive
    even if you dedicate the rest of the drive to only one
    partition. Programs inspecting your HW (like update-
    programs on a CD you booted from) might understand
    your drivers better, if there is a real partition table
    on it.

    Rainer

  3. Re: do you need a partition table

    > technically said, you don't need a partitiontable.
    >
    > But anyhow, it's a good idea to create one on the drive
    > even if you dedicate the rest of the drive to only one
    > partition. Programs inspecting your HW (like update-
    > programs on a CD you booted from) might understand
    > your drivers better, if there is a real partition table
    > on it.

    Thanks Rainer, that was my thinking too. A "better safe than sorry"
    approach, since we always seem to create partition tables.

  4. Re: do you need a partition table

    Hello,
    If you don't care about the data on the hard drive just boot with a bootable windows disk and it will let you reformat the drive or you may possibly be able to create a new partion and load windows on that . Boot from that partion and you might be able to see your data but its best just to bite the bullet and wipe it clean.

    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread