Noob Network Question - Unix

This is a discussion on Noob Network Question - Unix ; Dear humans, Im having a serious problem getting my HPC3000/UX-10.20 accessing the internet. I'm new to networking administration, but i played a lot with Linux at home. At work,I have a Windows 2k3 server (192.168.10.2) connected to my firewall (192.168.10.253) ...

  1. Noob Network Question

    Dear humans,

    Im having a serious problem getting my HPC3000/UX-10.20 accessing the
    internet.
    I'm new to networking administration, but i played a lot with Linux at
    home.

    At work,I have a Windows 2k3 server (192.168.10.2) connected to my
    firewall (192.168.10.253) Everything works fine with all the Windows
    stations. I received a HP UX machine and i just installed HP-UX 10.20
    Core OS Ace 99.

    I want this machine to connect to the internet, i assigned a unused and
    static ip adress to it,
    192.168.10.30 and a hostname. I can ping every PC in my lan, but for
    some reason i cant get passed my gateway (192.168.10.253).

    I ran /sbin/set_parms and i configured everything "accordingly".
    ifconfig lan0 returns good values as well

    Like i said, i can ping every pc in my lan, i just cant get/ping
    outside. When I'm launching Netscape i have an error saying something
    about SOCKS_NS variable not being set (sry dont have access to the pc
    atm)

    To be brief, how can my box access the web w/o being configured on a
    domain or passing by a DNS.

    sry for any typos, english is not my 1st language

  2. Re: Noob Network Question

    Begin <1142376641.526263.156160@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>
    On 2006-03-15, maxime.alarie@gmail.com wrote:
    > At work,I have a Windows 2k3 server (192.168.10.2)

    You've got a time machine as well, then? Last thing I heard,
    windows 2300 wasn't released yet.

    [... hp C3000 ...]
    > I want this machine to connect to the internet, i assigned a unused
    > and static ip adress to it, 192.168.10.30 and a hostname. I can ping
    > every PC in my lan, but for some reason i cant get passed my gateway
    > (192.168.10.253).

    Are you sure you have set up a default route? You can use `netstat -r'
    (which is the usual method, as most unices don't have a show option to
    the route command) to inspect the routing table.

    > To be brief, how can my box access the web w/o being configured on a
    > domain or passing by a DNS.

    Since ``the web'' is built on top of the internet, you'd best solve what
    is apparently an IP routing problem, first.

    Hostname resolution you need, for two reasons: First, you'll want to be
    able to resolve URLS as most are given in hostname and not in numeric
    format. Second, you'll want it to work for your local addresses too. If
    nothing else to avoid leaking RFC1918 queries out on the internet.

  3. Re: Noob Network Question

    In <47p6m5Fgq45tU1@individual.net> jpd writes:

    > Begin <1142376641.526263.156160@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>
    > On 2006-03-15, maxime.alarie@gmail.com wrote:
    > > At work,I have a Windows 2k3 server (192.168.10.2)

    > You've got a time machine as well, then? Last thing I heard,
    > windows 2300 wasn't released yet.

    Huh? 2k3. Two K, and three. 2003.

    --
    John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
    gordon@panix.com

  4. Re: Noob Network Question

    Begin
    On 2006-03-15, John Gordon wrote:
    > In <47p6m5Fgq45tU1@individual.net>
    > jpd writes:
    >> Begin <1142376641.526263.156160@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>
    >> On 2006-03-15, maxime.alarie@gmail.com wrote:
    >> > At work,I have a Windows 2k3 server (192.168.10.2)

    >> You've got a time machine as well, then? Last thing I heard,
    >> windows 2300 wasn't released yet.

    > Huh? 2k3. Two K, and three. 2003.

    Except that the empty operator is usually taken to be multiplication,
    not addition. Add to that, replacing the decimal comma/point[1] with the
    magnitude indicator has been practiced in electronics circles for longer
    than above software thing existed. You might think it looks cute, but to
    me it just displays ignorance as it needlessly confuses matters.

    [1] Depending on locale.

  5. Re: Noob Network Question

    You knew exactly what he meant didn't you? so don't be a jerk about it.
    Language is relative. Symbols are relative. He is on here trying to get
    help with configuring a unix box on a network and you are bashing him
    for a grammer mistake, in which he pre-appologized for ANY typos.
    And also, I may be getting this wrong, but are you saying 2k3 means
    2000 x 3? and if so, that would be 6000, not 2300. But i didn't quite
    understand your explaination.

  6. Re: Noob Network Question

    Begin <1142462581.533943.170610@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>
    On 2006-03-15, WorldGoneWrong@gmail.com wrote:
    [context missing, please provide some next time]
    > You knew exactly what he meant didn't you? so don't be a jerk about it.
    > Language is relative. Symbols are relative. He is on here trying to get
    > help with configuring a unix box on a network and you are bashing him
    > for a grammer mistake, in which he pre-appologized for ANY typos.
    > And also, I may be getting this wrong, but are you saying 2k3 means
    > 2000 x 3? and if so, that would be 6000, not 2300. But i didn't quite
    > understand your explaination.

    First you're calling me a jerk, then you're telling me you don't
    understand what's going on? Care to explain how you think this will
    motivate me to try and help you understand?

    Anyway, there's a difference between unintentional grammar misteaks
    and intentional ``cutening up'' of the language, making reading and
    discerning spelling and thought mistakes harder. To illustrate that to
    the case at hand, I mentioned two things, of which you've apparently
    read only the first one.

    More generally, what I drove at (twice in the original) is precision
    over cuteness. We are, after all, on a technical topic here. I think you
    might even agree that when troubleshooting, it helps to narrow down the
    problem space instead of pulling in more unrelated topics. To that end,
    it helps to be concise and precise, and leave out such gems as ``all
    I want is to *just work*''. It also helps to
    concentrate on what might be relevant to the case, using language that
    you understand and to the best of your knowledge is correct. If that
    means foregoing being the coolest kid by spewing half-understood lingo,
    so be it. Unless you'd rather show off as a poser than get your problem
    fixed, of course.

    I might note that I'm not the only one to drive at this. For example:

    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...html#writewell

  7. Re: Noob Network Question

    "jpd" wrote in message
    > Begin <1142462581.533943.170610@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>
    > On 2006-03-15, WorldGoneWrong@gmail.com wrote:
    > [context missing, please provide some next time]
    > > You knew exactly what he meant didn't you? so don't be a jerk about it.
    > > Language is relative. Symbols are relative. He is on here trying to get
    > > help with configuring a unix box on a network and you are bashing him
    > > for a grammer mistake, in which he pre-appologized for ANY typos.
    > > And also, I may be getting this wrong, but are you saying 2k3 means
    > > 2000 x 3? and if so, that would be 6000, not 2300. But i didn't quite
    > > understand your explaination.

    > First you're calling me a jerk, then you're telling me you don't
    > understand what's going on? Care to explain how you think this will
    > motivate me to try and help you understand?
    >

    > Anyway, there's a difference between unintentional grammar misteaks
    > and intentional ``cutening up'' of the language, making reading and
    > discerning spelling and thought mistakes harder. To illustrate that to
    > the case at hand, I mentioned two things, of which you've apparently
    > read only the first one.
    >
    > More generally, what I drove at (twice in the original) is precision
    > over cuteness. We are, after all, on a technical topic here. I think you
    > might even agree that when troubleshooting, it helps to narrow down the
    > problem space instead of pulling in more unrelated topics. To that end,
    > it helps to be concise and precise, and leave out such gems as ``all
    > I want is to *just work*''. It also helps to
    > concentrate on what might be relevant to the case, using language that
    > you understand and to the best of your knowledge is correct. If that
    > means foregoing being the coolest kid by spewing half-understood lingo,
    > so be it. Unless you'd rather show off as a poser than get your problem
    > fixed, of course.
    >
    > I might note that I'm not the only one to drive at this. For example:
    >
    > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...html#writewell
    >

    > --
    > j p d (at) d s b (dot) t u d e l f t (dot) n l .
    > This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.
    > Any other representation, additions, or changes do not have my
    > consent and may be a violation of international copyright law.

    2k3 is a pretty standard abbreviation for Windows Server 2003.

    Google is your firend: Over 1,400,000 hits.

+ Reply to Thread