SIGSEGV ? - Unix

This is a discussion on SIGSEGV ? - Unix ; In my program I am getting following error. what kind of error is this and how can I debug it. Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault. 0xff31f69c in time () from /usr/lib/libc.so.1...

  1. SIGSEGV ?

    In my program I am getting following error. what kind of error is this
    and how can I debug it.

    0xff31f69c in time () from /usr/lib/libc.so.1

  2. Re: SIGSEGV ?

    In article <1134785590.144935.212950@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups. com>,
    "friend.05@gmail.com" wrote:

    > In my program I am getting following error. what kind of error is this
    > and how can I debug it.

    > 0xff31f69c in time () from /usr/lib/libc.so.1

    It's a segmentation violation, which means that the program tried to
    access memory that was not assigned to it, or attempted to write to
    memory marked read-only. It usually comes from indirecting through
    uninitialized pointer variables, or from using a string literal in a
    place that requires a modifiable string.

    You can debug it by running your program under a debugger. You'll then
    see which call to time() had the problem, and you should be able to
    figure out why the time_t* parameter isn't set properly (probably
    because you forgot to call malloc()).

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA