rlogin to remote host via specific port - Unix

This is a discussion on rlogin to remote host via specific port - Unix ; I need to connect to remote host (embedded target) via IPAdress and _specific port_. Is it possible to do that via rlogin? Alex Vinokur email: alex DOT vinokur AT gmail DOT com http://mathforum.org/library/view/10978.html http://sourceforge.net/users/alexvn...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: rlogin to remote host via specific port

  1. rlogin to remote host via specific port

    I need to connect to remote host (embedded target) via IPAdress and
    _specific port_.
    Is it possible to do that via rlogin?

    Alex Vinokur
    email: alex DOT vinokur AT gmail DOT com
    http://mathforum.org/library/view/10978.html
    http://sourceforge.net/users/alexvn


  2. Re: rlogin to remote host via specific port

    Alex Vinokur wrote:

    >I need to connect to remote host (embedded target) via IPAdress and
    >_specific port_.
    >Is it possible to do that via rlogin?
    >
    > Alex Vinokur
    > email: alex DOT vinokur AT gmail DOT com
    > http://mathforum.org/library/view/10978.html
    > http://sourceforge.net/users/alexvn
    >
    >
    >


    rlogin [ -l
    You have to provide the following information in your .netrc file then
    it won't ask the passwd
    machine login passwd

    Regards,

    Thobias Vakayil


  3. Re: rlogin to remote host via specific port

    Alex Vinokur wrote:
    > I need to connect to remote host (embedded target) via IPAdress and
    > _specific port_.
    > Is it possible to do that via rlogin?
    >
    > Alex Vinokur
    > email: alex DOT vinokur AT gmail DOT com
    > http://mathforum.org/library/view/10978.html
    > http://sourceforge.net/users/alexvn
    >


    You probably want telnet, see the telnet manpage.

    -- ced

    --
    Chuck Dillon
    Senior Software Engineer
    NimbleGen Systems Inc.

  4. Re: rlogin to remote host via specific port

    In article <439FF69D.6020404@alcatel.com>,
    Thobias Vakayil wrote:

    > Alex Vinokur wrote:
    >
    > >I need to connect to remote host (embedded target) via IPAdress and
    > >_specific port_.
    > >Is it possible to do that via rlogin?

    >
    > rlogin [ -l >
    > You have to provide the following information in your .netrc file then
    > it won't ask the passwd
    > machine login passwd


    He said he needs to use a specific port, by which I assume he means a
    port different from the standard port 513 assigned to rlogin. Where is
    that in your response?

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA
    *** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me ***
    *** PLEASE don't copy me on replies, I'll read them in the group ***

  5. Re: rlogin to remote host via specific port

    In article ,
    Chuck Dillon wrote:

    > Alex Vinokur wrote:
    > > I need to connect to remote host (embedded target) via IPAdress and
    > > _specific port_.
    > > Is it possible to do that via rlogin?

    >
    > You probably want telnet, see the telnet manpage.


    Telnet doesn't implement the rlogin protocol. It's usable with
    protocols that use plain text as their interaction language, but rlogin
    doesn't. It requires some binary data to be sent at the beginning of
    the connection, and performs negotiations from time to time within the
    connection (e.g. it sends a special message if the window size changes,
    so that the remote application can adjust its output to accomodate it).

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA
    *** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me ***
    *** PLEASE don't copy me on replies, I'll read them in the group ***

  6. Re: rlogin to remote host via specific port

    Barry Margolin wrote:

    >In article <439FF69D.6020404@alcatel.com>,
    > Thobias Vakayil wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >>Alex Vinokur wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>>I need to connect to remote host (embedded target) via IPAdress and
    >>>_specific port_.
    >>>Is it possible to do that via rlogin?
    >>>
    >>>

    >>rlogin [ -l >>
    >>You have to provide the following information in your .netrc file then
    >>it won't ask the passwd
    >>machine login passwd
    >>
    >>

    >
    >He said he needs to use a specific port, by which I assume he means a
    >port different from the standard port 513 assigned to rlogin. Where is
    >that in your response?
    >
    >
    >

    I don't think he can connect through a specific port by using rlogin.
    For this he has to use some socket programs.

    Regards,

    Thobias Vakayil


  7. Re: rlogin to remote host via specific port

    Barry Margolin wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Chuck Dillon wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Alex Vinokur wrote:
    >>
    >>>I need to connect to remote host (embedded target) via IPAdress and
    >>>_specific port_.
    >>>Is it possible to do that via rlogin?

    >>
    >>You probably want telnet, see the telnet manpage.

    >
    >
    > Telnet doesn't implement the rlogin protocol. It's usable with
    > protocols that use plain text as their interaction language, but rlogin
    > doesn't. It requires some binary data to be sent at the beginning of
    > the connection, and performs negotiations from time to time within the
    > connection (e.g. it sends a special message if the window size changes,
    > so that the remote application can adjust its output to accomodate it).
    >


    The OP doesn't mention a protocol. It asks if rlogin is the right tool
    to connect to an IP address port combination with no protocol mentioned.

    -- ced

    --
    Chuck Dillon
    Senior Software Engineer
    NimbleGen Systems Inc.

  8. Re: rlogin to remote host via specific port

    In article ,
    Chuck Dillon wrote:

    > Barry Margolin wrote:
    > > In article ,
    > > Chuck Dillon wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > >>Alex Vinokur wrote:
    > >>
    > >>>I need to connect to remote host (embedded target) via IPAdress and
    > >>>_specific port_.
    > >>>Is it possible to do that via rlogin?
    > >>
    > >>You probably want telnet, see the telnet manpage.

    > >
    > >
    > > Telnet doesn't implement the rlogin protocol. It's usable with
    > > protocols that use plain text as their interaction language, but rlogin
    > > doesn't. It requires some binary data to be sent at the beginning of
    > > the connection, and performs negotiations from time to time within the
    > > connection (e.g. it sends a special message if the window size changes,
    > > so that the remote application can adjust its output to accomodate it).
    > >

    >
    > The OP doesn't mention a protocol. It asks if rlogin is the right tool
    > to connect to an IP address port combination with no protocol mentioned.


    You're right. I saw the Subject line, which asked how to use rlogin to
    connect to a specific port, and then didn't read the body carefully.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA
    *** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me ***
    *** PLEASE don't copy me on replies, I'll read them in the group ***

+ Reply to Thread