Setting reading news-server - Unix

This is a discussion on Setting reading news-server - Unix ; I want to use emacs21 from Fink on a Mac OS 10.4.3 to read Usenet new. Then Emacs needs to get hold of an (external) news-server to read from, and I gather it just checks for some*standard BSD UNIX utilities. ...

  1. Setting reading news-server

    I want to use emacs21 from Fink on a Mac OS 10.4.3 to read Usenet new.
    Then Emacs needs to get hold of an (external) news-server to read from,
    and I gather it just checks for some*standard BSD UNIX utilities. But how
    do I set up this BSD UNIX so that it know which news-server to address?

    --
    Hans Aberg

  2. Re: Setting reading news-server

    In article , Bill Marcum wrote:

    > > I want to use emacs21 from Fink on a Mac OS 10.4.3 to read Usenet new.
    > > Then Emacs needs to get hold of an (external) news-server to read from,
    > > and I gather it just checks for some*standard BSD UNIX utilities. But how
    > > do I set up this BSD UNIX so that it know which news-server to address?

    > Set the emacs variable gnus-default-nntp-server.

    Thank. I eventually figured this out by reading the Gnus manual. :-) One
    can also 'export NNTPSERVER=' in the console or suitable shell
    startup file, though it is probably best to set the variable you mention
    in the ".gnus" file. At the time I posted, I was not sure it would work at
    all on a Mac, but it does. Most UNIX stuff seems to be there in this
    latest version of Mac OS X.

    --
    Hans Aberg

+ Reply to Thread