A laptop backup plan using cygwin (gnu) tar and R/W CDs? - Unix

This is a discussion on A laptop backup plan using cygwin (gnu) tar and R/W CDs? - Unix ; Say someone owns a only laptop and doesn't intend to make any equipment purchases for some time. How does this strategy sound? Identify the files and file trees that need protection. Label 5 "weekly" read/write CDs a Week 1, 2, ...

  1. A laptop backup plan using cygwin (gnu) tar and R/W CDs?

    Say someone owns a only laptop and doesn't intend to make any
    equipment purchases for some time. How does this strategy sound?

    Identify the files and file trees that need protection.

    Label 5 "weekly" read/write CDs a Week 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5, one for each
    Suncay of the Month..

    Label 6 "daily" R/W CDs as Monday, Tuesday, ... , Saturday (there is
    no Sunday, since that is for the "weekly" backups).

    Every Sunday, make a full backup of the identified files and file
    trees onto the CD for that week of the month.

    Every day, make an incremental backup of identified file trees using
    corresponding daily CD -- any files changed or created since the last
    full Sunday backup.

    This two-level method gives you a way of going back a month. After a
    while, the daily R/W CDs will need to be replaced.

    Since the CD writer writes at a constant speed, special precautions
    are needed to avoid the problem of feeding data too slowly to the CD
    writer. Each backup must be broken into 2 steps: One to generate the
    backup data file file to put onto the CD, and another to write it to
    CD. The backup data file can be compressed.

    I will be using cygwin's gnu tar & gzip, and am reading up on using it
    now. However, I will not be able to use its scripts for incremental
    backup because my version of cygwin doesn't have them. Since I'm on
    dialup, I will not be updating cygwin any time soon (assuming that the
    scripts are even available on the newer versions).

    Being unable to easily access the scripts, I will directly specify tar
    switches for incremental backup. Any pointers to a more explicit
    description & examples of using the snaphshot file would be
    appreciated. For example, since the daily incrementals are being made
    with respect to the last Sunday backup, do I need to copy the snapshot
    file for Sunday So that Tuesday's incremental is not working with the
    snapshot for Monday?

    The backups may have to be done twice: Once for the administrator, and
    once for user (I maintain one of each account so that I can use the
    user account most of the time).

    Comments on pitfalls and how to do things smarter are welcome. In
    case it matters, my HDD is 30GB, of which Windows 2000 and installed
    applications take up most of the currently used 8GB. The user account
    (mostly in the cygwin file tree) takes up 1.9GB (3 CDs for the first
    full backup). while the administrator account takes up a mere 100MB.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: A laptop backup plan using cygwin (gnu) tar and R/W CDs?

    Dubious Dude wrote:
    > Say someone owns a only laptop and doesn't intend to make any
    > equipment purchases for some time. How does this strategy sound?
    >
    > Identify the files and file trees that need protection.
    >
    > Label 5 "weekly" read/write CDs a Week 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5, one for each
    > Suncay of the Month..
    >
    > Label 6 "daily" R/W CDs as Monday, Tuesday, ... , Saturday (there is
    > no Sunday, since that is for the "weekly" backups).
    >
    > Every Sunday, make a full backup of the identified files and file
    > trees onto the CD for that week of the month.
    >
    > Every day, make an incremental backup of identified file trees using
    > corresponding daily CD -- any files changed or created since the last
    > full Sunday backup.
    >
    > This two-level method gives you a way of going back a month. After a
    > while, the daily R/W CDs will need to be replaced.
    >
    > Since the CD writer writes at a constant speed, special precautions
    > are needed to avoid the problem of feeding data too slowly to the CD
    > writer. Each backup must be broken into 2 steps: One to generate the
    > backup data file file to put onto the CD, and another to write it to
    > CD. The backup data file can be compressed.
    >
    > I will be using cygwin's gnu tar & gzip, and am reading up on using it
    > now. However, I will not be able to use its scripts for incremental
    > backup because my version of cygwin doesn't have them. Since I'm on
    > dialup, I will not be updating cygwin any time soon (assuming that the
    > scripts are even available on the newer versions).
    >
    > Being unable to easily access the scripts, I will directly specify tar
    > switches for incremental backup. Any pointers to a more explicit
    > description & examples of using the snaphshot file would be
    > appreciated. For example, since the daily incrementals are being made
    > with respect to the last Sunday backup, do I need to copy the snapshot
    > file for Sunday So that Tuesday's incremental is not working with the
    > snapshot for Monday?
    >
    > The backups may have to be done twice: Once for the administrator, and
    > once for user (I maintain one of each account so that I can use the
    > user account most of the time).
    >
    > Comments on pitfalls and how to do things smarter are welcome. In
    > case it matters, my HDD is 30GB, of which Windows 2000 and installed
    > applications take up most of the currently used 8GB. The user account
    > (mostly in the cygwin file tree) takes up 1.9GB (3 CDs for the first
    > full backup). while the administrator account takes up a mere 100MB.
    >
    > Thanks.

    External USB drives are cheap and come in capacities such that you could
    do 40 days (80 GB drive) worth of 1.9 GB backups, without having to
    change CD's.

    I have an AIT3 tape drive on my SCO server so I also dump the my USB
    drives notebook backups to tape every so often.

    SCO Authorized Partner
    (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

  3. Re: A laptop backup plan using cygwin (gnu) tar and R/W CDs?

    Pat Welch wrote:
    >Dubious Dude wrote:
    >> Say someone owns a only laptop and doesn't intend to make any
    >> equipment purchases for some time. How does this strategy sound?
    >>
    >> Identify the files and file trees that need protection.
    >>
    >> Label 5 "weekly" read/write CDs a Week 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5, one for each
    >> Suncay of the Month..
    >>
    >> Label 6 "daily" R/W CDs as Monday, Tuesday, ... , Saturday (there is
    >> no Sunday, since that is for the "weekly" backups).
    >>
    >> Every Sunday, make a full backup of the identified files and file
    >> trees onto the CD for that week of the month.
    >>
    >> Every day, make an incremental backup of identified file trees using
    >> corresponding daily CD -- any files changed or created since the last
    >> full Sunday backup.
    >>
    >> This two-level method gives you a way of going back a month. After a
    >> while, the daily R/W CDs will need to be replaced.
    >>
    >> Since the CD writer writes at a constant speed, special precautions
    >> are needed to avoid the problem of feeding data too slowly to the CD
    >> writer. Each backup must be broken into 2 steps: One to generate the
    >> backup data file file to put onto the CD, and another to write it to
    >> CD. The backup data file can be compressed.
    >>
    >> I will be using cygwin's gnu tar & gzip, and am reading up on using it
    >> now. However, I will not be able to use its scripts for incremental
    >> backup because my version of cygwin doesn't have them. Since I'm on
    >> dialup, I will not be updating cygwin any time soon (assuming that the
    >> scripts are even available on the newer versions).
    >>
    >> Being unable to easily access the scripts, I will directly specify tar
    >> switches for incremental backup. Any pointers to a more explicit
    >> description & examples of using the snaphshot file would be
    >> appreciated. For example, since the daily incrementals are being made
    >> with respect to the last Sunday backup, do I need to copy the snapshot
    >> file for Sunday So that Tuesday's incremental is not working with the
    >> snapshot for Monday?
    >>
    >> The backups may have to be done twice: Once for the administrator, and
    >> once for user (I maintain one of each account so that I can use the
    >> user account most of the time).
    >>
    >> Comments on pitfalls and how to do things smarter are welcome. In
    >> case it matters, my HDD is 30GB, of which Windows 2000 and installed
    >> applications take up most of the currently used 8GB. The user account
    >> (mostly in the cygwin file tree) takes up 1.9GB (3 CDs for the first
    >> full backup). while the administrator account takes up a mere 100MB.

    > External USB drives are cheap and come in capacities such that you could
    > do 40 days (80 GB drive) worth of 1.9 GB backups, without having to
    > change CD's.

    Hmmm, that's very interesting. I will look into it, but extra
    purchases are not on the horizon right now. Having all the backups on
    the same medium is a bit worrisome, too. I know, even having them on
    different media isn't all that much insurance unless one stores them
    at different sites, but it does add a bit of protection.

    > I have an AIT3 tape drive on my SCO server so I also dump the my USB
    > drives notebook backups to tape every so often.

+ Reply to Thread