Is gzip standard on all platforms? - Unix

This is a discussion on Is gzip standard on all platforms? - Unix ; All, Is gzip utility a standard tool on all the platforms? I have seen that zip and unzip are not available on hpux and aix. I appreciate any input. Thanks, Shekar...

  1. Is gzip standard on all platforms?

    All,

    Is gzip utility a standard tool on all the platforms? I have seen that
    zip and unzip are not available on hpux and aix.
    I appreciate any input.

    Thanks,
    Shekar

  2. Re: Is gzip standard on all platforms?

    Shekar wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > Is gzip utility a standard tool on all the platforms? I have seen that
    > zip and unzip are not available on hpux and aix.

    Are you sure? According to http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/Zip.html,
    they are suppose to be supported by zip.

    Gzip is accesible on most unix platforms, and easily reachable from windows
    via cygwin. However, if you don't like cygwin, there is a version for MSDOS.
    http://www.gzip.org.

    My understanding is that they are both quite ubiquitous.

  3. Re: Is gzip standard on all platforms?

    In article ,
    Dubious Dude wrote:

    > Shekar wrote:
    > > All,
    > >
    > > Is gzip utility a standard tool on all the platforms? I have seen that
    > > zip and unzip are not available on hpux and aix.

    > Are you sure? According to http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/Zip.html,
    > they are suppose to be supported by zip.

    They may be supported, but unless the vendors include the program in
    their distributions, they won't necessarily be available on any
    particular site.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  4. Re: Is gzip standard on all platforms?

    Thanks for the reply. My guess is that zip is not included in standard
    distributions for HPUX and AIX. The bigger issue is that there are
    standard Java API's available that can zip and gzip and can access the
    files within the zip and gzip bundle. I am developing a way to install
    from a remote node using these compressed files. Due to the fact that
    java has control over the files within the compressed bundle, we can
    use this mechanism for upgrading and patching aswell. If gzip is
    standard with most of UNIX & Linux distributions (SunOS, AIX, HPUX,
    SCO), then I will use gzip as the method of compression.
    So, is gzip a part of standard distribution? I did find gzip under
    /usr/contrib/bin folder on a HPUX box. is this a standard?

    Shekar

+ Reply to Thread