Access Unix formatted HDD from Windows - Unix

This is a discussion on Access Unix formatted HDD from Windows - Unix ; I hope this is the correct place to post this - please let me know if it should go elsewhere. I have an external hard drive (USB connection) that is formatted in Unix file system with lots of files on ...

  1. Access Unix formatted HDD from Windows

    I hope this is the correct place to post this - please let me know if
    it should go elsewhere.

    I have an external hard drive (USB connection) that is formatted in
    Unix file system with lots of files on it I need to access.

    However, I only have a Windows XP PC to connect it to. When I connect
    it Windows sees the drive, but doesn't map it so I can't access the
    files.

    Is there a way to set up some sort of terminal in Windows that will let
    me access these files and copy them to my PC?

    Thank you for any advice you can share.

    Regards

    Michelle

  2. Re: Access Unix formatted HDD from Windows

    > I have an external hard drive (USB connection) that is formatted in
    > Unix file system with lots of files on it I need to access.

    *Which* Unix file system? There are many. If you have an ext2/3
    formatted drive (typical if it was used with a Linux system), then you
    can find several solutions here:

    http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+ext2

    -- Lars

    --
    Lars Kellogg-Stedman <8273grkci8q8kgt@jetable.net>
    This email address will expire on 2005-11-23.

  3. Re: Access Unix formatted HDD from Windows

    Michelle wrote:
    > I hope this is the correct place to post this - please let me know if it
    > should go elsewhere.

    Perhaps you will get more answers in a Microsoft-related newsgroup?

    > I have an external hard drive (USB connection) that is formatted in Unix
    > file system with lots of files on it I need to access.
    >
    > However, I only have a Windows XP PC to connect it to. When I connect it
    > Windows sees the drive, but doesn't map it so I can't access the files.

    There are many Unix filesystems, Microsoft, from what I hear, supports none of
    them. Some Unix operating systems, however, offer varying degrees of support
    for Microsoft filesystems. If you just need to get at the data, it might be
    possible for you to mount the volume on a Unix box.

    Alternatively, you could use NFS or Samba to transfer the data over a network.

    > Is there a way to set up some sort of terminal in Windows that will let me
    > access these files and copy them to my PC?

    Probably not.

    - Philip

    --
    Philip Paeps Please don't email any replies
    philip@paeps.cx I follow the newsgroup.

    BOFH Excuse #168:
    le0: no carrier: transceiver cable problem?

  4. Re: Access Unix formatted HDD from Windows

    Lars, thank you.

    I'm not sure what Unix file system it is. The external HDD was
    formatted while connected to a Mac Mini. The options available were Mac
    formats or a Unix file system, which is what was selected.

    Any ideas what it would be?

    Thanks

    Michelle

    Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
    > > I have an external hard drive (USB connection) that is formatted in
    > > Unix file system with lots of files on it I need to access.

    > *Which* Unix file system? There are many. If you have an ext2/3
    > formatted drive (typical if it was used with a Linux system), then you
    > can find several solutions here:
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+ext2
    >
    > -- Lars
    >
    > --
    > Lars Kellogg-Stedman <8273grkci8q8kgt@jetable.net>
    > This email address will expire on 2005-11-23.

+ Reply to Thread