crypting files - Unix

This is a discussion on crypting files - Unix ; Hello, I would like to ask as to what is the best way to encrypt files in unix. I somehow started by tar then compress then using the crypt command to encrypt them. Is there a better solution around there? ...

  1. crypting files

    Hello,

    I would like to ask as to what is the best way to encrypt files in
    unix. I somehow started by tar then compress then using the crypt
    command to encrypt them. Is there a better solution around there?

    Hender

  2. Re: crypting files

    > I would like to ask as to what is the best way to encrypt files in
    > unix. I somehow started by tar then compress then using the crypt
    > command to encrypt them. Is there a better solution around there?

    There are many ways to encrypt files. The 'crypt' command is fairly
    weak.

    A popular solution is GnuPG, which in addition to the public/private key
    architecture it's best known for can also do simple symmetric
    encryption. If you're using Linux, this is probably already installed
    on your system.

    You can actually use the 'openssl' command to encrypt and decrypt
    files.

    A search for "encrypt" on Freshmeat
    (http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=encrypt) will reveal a variety of
    packages for handling file encryption.

    -- Lars

    --
    Lars Kellogg-Stedman <8273grkci8q8kgt@jetable.net>
    This email address will expire on 2005-11-23.

  3. Re: crypting files

    2005-11-16, 20:47(-08), hender:
    > I would like to ask as to what is the best way to encrypt files in
    > unix. I somehow started by tar then compress then using the crypt
    > command to encrypt them. Is there a better solution around there?

    [...]

    beside, pgp and gpg, there's the openssl command that may be
    slightly more likely to be installed on a Unix.

    See "man enc" on such systems.

    --
    Stéphane

  4. Re: crypting files

    On 2005-11-17, Stephane CHAZELAS wrote:
    > 2005-11-16, 20:47(-08), hender:
    >> I would like to ask as to what is the best way to encrypt files in
    >> unix. I somehow started by tar then compress then using the crypt
    >> command to encrypt them. Is there a better solution around there?

    > [...]
    >
    > beside, pgp and gpg, there's the openssl command that may be
    > slightly more likely to be installed on a Unix.
    >
    > See "man enc" on such systems.

    Although weak, the "zip/unzip" commands have an "-e" encryption flag
    on most modern Linux systems.

    --
    -=[cwa]=-
    e-Mail: chris at cwaiken dot net

  5. Re: crypting files

    Thanks everyone. I have decided to use pgp.

+ Reply to Thread