Tape Writing Help - Unix

This is a discussion on Tape Writing Help - Unix ; Hi, newbie question but I am struggling to write a file to an external tape drive. After much effort to get this working on OSX I have got the tape to rewind from the command line but can't get my ...

  1. Tape Writing Help

    Hi, newbie question but I am struggling to write a file to an external
    tape drive. After much effort to get this working on OSX I have got the
    tape to rewind from the command line but can't get my head around the
    command to write the file.

    The tape drive is at /etc/UGSdev/nst1 and I want to copy a osx .img
    file to the tape drive with no compression - I just want to do a
    straight copy. I have been playing with cpio and tar but cannot seem to
    write the file across.

    Could someone tell me the command to copy a file called test.img to
    /etc/UGSdev/nst1
    ?

    Many Thanks,

    Emma

  2. Re: Tape Writing Help

    emmakane@gmail.com schrieb:
    > Could someone tell me the command to copy a file called test.img to
    > /etc/UGSdev/nst1

    Emma,

    cp test.img /etc/UGSdev/nst1

    that's it.

    However, keep in mind, that a tape doesn't contain a filesystem ...
    so this command just copies the content of the file, but not the
    other attibutes (like owner, group, access-rights, access-time,
    last-modified-time etc, filename).

    To copy the content back to a regular file use

    cp /etc/UGSdev/nst1 somefile

    Rethink to use cpio or tar ... they will preserve the other
    fileattributes as well...

    tar -cvf /dev/UGSdev/nst1 test.img

    should create a tar-archive on the tape containing your file.

    tar -xvf /dev/USGdev/nst1

    should copy all files in the tar-archive on the tape back to
    your disk.

    Regards ... Rainer

+ Reply to Thread