    text. Which email clients do that?

  2. Re: what Linux email client saves email as plain text?

    Begin <1131734986.059295.216300@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups. com>
    On 2005-11-11, lkrubner@geocities.com wrote:
    > Let me ask the question again.

    Ask the question _again_? How come nobody noted it before, then?

    > Some email clients store all email in a big file which the client
    > software parses. I don't want that. I want every email stored as plain
    > text. Which email clients do that?

    Given that those ``mbox files'', which I presume you are talking about,
    are essentially the messages as seen on the wire dumped sequentially in
    a file, those are probably as ``plain text'' as you can get.

    So, instead of repeating the wrong question, consider finding out what
    different mailbox formats there are[1], and then select a MUA (and a
    matching MTA!) that can deal with the format of your choice.

    If that doesn't help you, maybe you could tell us what you want to do
    that requires a different mailbox format?

    [1] There are FAQls about that. Finding them left as an excercise.

  3. Re: what Linux email client saves email as plain text?

    lkrubner@geocities.com wrote:
    > I seached groups.google.com with the question "what Linux email client saves
    > email as plain text?"

    Just about all of them. The only ones that don't, are the incredibly bloaty
    ones like Evolution or Mozilla.

    > Some email clients store all email in a big file which the client software
    > parses. I don't want that. I want every email stored as plain text. Which
    > email clients do that?

    There are three popular formats for storing email in plain text on proper
    operating systems: Maildir, mbox and MH. Most mailclients know how to deal
    with mbox and Maildir.

    In the mbox format, all mail is stored in a single huge file. Every mail
    starts with the string 'From '. If you have a lot of mail, or if you like
    accessing mail over NFS, mbox files are a great way for causing a lot of
    frustration.

    Maildirs (and MH I think, but I'm not familiar with that format) have one
    message per file in a directory with 'new', 'cur' and 'tmp' subdirs. New
    email is stored in the 'new' directory, read email is in 'cur'.

    I like to use Mutt.

    - Philip

    --
    Philip Paeps Please don't email any replies
    philip@paeps.cx I follow the newsgroup.

    1) You can't win
    2) You can't break even
    3) You can't even quit the game

  4. Re: what Linux email client saves email as plain text?

+ Reply to Thread