how to mix images with text and send the result to a printer? - Unix

This is a discussion on how to mix images with text and send the result to a printer? - Unix ; Hi all. I need help. I have a shell script that gets info from a database and sends the results to a printer. No trouble there. The script runs on an HP Unix machine and the printer is connected to ...

  1. how to mix images with text and send the result to a printer?

    Hi all. I need help.

    I have a shell script that gets info from a database and sends the
    results to a printer. No trouble there. The script runs on an HP Unix
    machine and the printer is connected to the machine. Everything works
    perfectly.

    Now I need to change that script. The info from the database is in
    regards to the photos that our graphics department has generated. Now I
    need to embed the actual image in that report. I can't figure out how
    to do this. I know how to send text to the printer, but I don't know
    how to send images.

    This page had what looked like good info about XITE from a shell
    script, but nothing about printing the images or working them in with
    other text.

    http://www.ifi.uio.no/forskning/grup...al/node11.html

    I had one idea, which was to get the database info and then, for each
    entry, get the associated image address, and then mix it together with
    some HTML, then invoke a rendering engine of some browser such as
    Mozilla, capture the output of mozilla and then send that to the
    printer. But mozilla's documentation is incomplete and I was able to
    figure it out.

    Anyone who can point me in the direction of some good info will have my
    gratitude.

  2. Re: how to mix images with text and send the result to a printer?

    lkrubner@geocities.com wrote:
    > Now I need to change that script. The info from the database is in regards
    > to the photos that our graphics department has generated. Now I need to
    > embed the actual image in that report. I can't figure out how to do this. I
    > know how to send text to the printer, but I don't know how to send images.

    If your printer understands PostScript, you could use ImageMagick to combine
    the text and the graphics into a PostScript file, and send that to your
    printer.

    - Philip

    --
    Philip Paeps Please don't email any replies
    philip@paeps.cx I follow the newsgroup.

    double value; /* or your money back! */
    short changed; /* so triple your money back! */
    -- cons.c, perl source code

  3. Re: how to mix images with text and send the result to a printer?

    lkrubner@geocities.com said the following, on 11/03/05 10:18:
    > Hi all. I need help.
    >
    > I have a shell script that gets info from a database and sends the
    > results to a printer. No trouble there. The script runs on an HP Unix
    > machine and the printer is connected to the machine. Everything works
    > perfectly.
    >
    > Now I need to change that script. The info from the database is in
    > regards to the photos that our graphics department has generated. Now I
    > need to embed the actual image in that report. I can't figure out how
    > to do this. I know how to send text to the printer, but I don't know
    > how to send images.

    [SNIP]

    > I had one idea, which was to get the database info and then, for each
    > entry, get the associated image address, and then mix it together with
    > some HTML, then invoke a rendering engine of some browser such as
    > Mozilla, capture the output of mozilla and then send that to the
    > printer. But mozilla's documentation is incomplete and I was able to
    > figure it out.
    >
    > Anyone who can point me in the direction of some good info will have my
    > gratitude.

    Another possibility would be to use an OpenOffice macro to load the
    report text and the images into a Writer document, and then send that
    doc to the printer, either directly or by exporting it as PDF.

    The fly in the ointment here is that there is no version of OO
    specifically for HP-UX. There are Solaris and Linux versions; one of
    those might work if you build it from the source.

    --
    Rich Gibbs
    richg74@gmail.com

  4. Re: how to mix images with text and send the result to a printer?

    Philip Paeps wrote:
    > lkrubner@geocities.com wrote:
    > > Now I need to change that script. The info from the database is in regards
    > > to the photos that our graphics department has generated. Now I need to
    > > embed the actual image in that report. I can't figure out how to do this. I
    > > know how to send text to the printer, but I don't know how to send images.

    > If your printer understands PostScript, you could use ImageMagick to combine
    > the text and the graphics into a PostScript file, and send that to your
    > printer.

    I rebel at the possible complexity of all that, but, on the other hand,
    no one has so far suggested anything better to me.

    Is it hard to compile ImageMagik on HP Unix? It would probably be worth
    the effort if only I was sure it would work.

    Suppose I get it to compile. I'll then need to write a shell script to
    format the text with the image the way I want. Is that easy or hard?

    I ask these questions because I'd like to estimate a head of time
    whether this route would be worth the investment. It would be worth it
    if it could all be set up in a day or two.

  5. Re: how to mix images with text and send the result to a printer?

    lkrubner@geocities.com wrote:
    > Philip Paeps wrote:
    > > lkrubner@geocities.com wrote:
    > > > Now I need to change that script. The info from the database is in
    > > > regards to the photos that our graphics department has generated. Now I
    > > > need to embed the actual image in that report. I can't figure out how to
    > > > do this. I know how to send text to the printer, but I don't know how to
    > > > send images.

    > > If your printer understands PostScript, you could use ImageMagick to
    > > combine the text and the graphics into a PostScript file, and send that to
    > > your printer.

    > I rebel at the possible complexity of all that, but, on the other hand, no
    > one has so far suggested anything better to me.
    >
    > Is it hard to compile ImageMagik on HP Unix? It would probably be worth the
    > effort if only I was sure it would work.

    It should be fairly easy to get ImageMagick to work on HP Unix. I've never
    used it on HP Unix myself, but I've never had any trouble getting it to work
    on any of the flavours of Unix which I have tried.

    A quick Google tells me HP has packages of ImageMagick in their 'open source
    collection' and that a number of people are using it on HP Unix. Chances of
    success seem fairly good to me.

    > Suppose I get it to compile. I'll then need to write a shell script to
    > format the text with the image the way I want. Is that easy or hard?

    That's a matter of perception. :-) If you're comfortable writing shell
    scripts, it should not be very difficult.

    > I ask these questions because I'd like to estimate a head of time whether
    > this route would be worth the investment. It would be worth it if it could
    > all be set up in a day or two.

    I think it should be possible in a day or two. But of course it depends on a
    number of things which I can't estimate for you.

    - Philip

    --
    Philip Paeps Please don't email any replies
    philip@paeps.cx I follow the newsgroup.

    When the going gets tough, everyone leaves.

+ Reply to Thread