Re: Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting] - Unix

This is a discussion on Re: Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting] - Unix ; JRS: In article , dated Thu, 27 Oct 2005 04:28:36, seen in news:news.answers, Ted Timar posted : >Message-ID: >Supersedes: >Expires: 17 Nov 2005 04:28:35 GMT >X-Last-Updated: 1996/06/11 >From: tmatimar@isgtec.com (Ted Timar) >Distribution: world >Newsgroups: comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.shell,comp.answers,n ews.answers >Followup-To: comp.unix.questions >Organization: ISG ...

  1. Re: Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting]

    JRS: In article , dated
    Thu, 27 Oct 2005 04:28:36, seen in news:news.answers, Ted Timar
    posted :

    >From: tmatimar@isgtec.com (Ted Timar)
    >Newsgroups: comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.shell,comp.answers,n ews.answers
    >Subject: Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting]
    >Date: 27 Oct 2005 04:28:36 GMT

    The "FAQ" for which that is part of a header is horribly out of date.

    What do the Cabal propose to do about it, either directly or by the
    Skirvinnical Rules?

    --
    John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v4.00 MIME.
    Web - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.

  2. Re: Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting]

    Dr John Stockton writes:

    >>Subject: Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting]
    >>[...]

    >The "FAQ" for which that is part of a header is horribly out of date.

    >What do the Cabal propose to do about it, either directly or by the
    >Skirvinnical Rules?

    I'm confused, how is this connected to newsgroup creation in any
    way?

    Why don't you contact the author if you're concerned?

    - Tim Skirvin (tskirvin@killfile.org)
    --
    http://www.killfile.org/~tskirvin/ Skirv's Homepage < <*>
    http://www.killfile.org/~tskirvin/posts.html Skirv's Posts

  3. Re: Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting]

    On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 18:40:09 +0100, in news.groups, Dr John Stockton
    wrote:

    >JRS: In article , dated
    >Thu, 27 Oct 2005 04:28:36, seen in news:news.answers, Ted Timar
    > posted :

    >>From: tmatimar@isgtec.com (Ted Timar)
    >>Newsgroups: comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.shell,comp.answers,n ews.answers
    >>Subject: Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting]
    >>Date: 27 Oct 2005 04:28:36 GMT

    >The "FAQ" for which that is part of a header is horribly out of date.
    >
    >What do the Cabal propose to do about it, either directly or by the
    >Skirvinnical Rules?

    Absolutely nothing, John. There is no Cabal -- yet. And even if there
    were, the Cabal is not in charge of FAQs.

    Hope this helps.

    Henrietta

    --
    Unless stated otherwise, the opinions expressed in
    this article are mine alone, and do not represent

  4. Re: Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting]

    JRS: In article , dated
    Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:31:43, seen in news:news.groups, Tim Skirvin
    posted :
    >Dr John Stockton writes:
    >
    >>>Subject: Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting]
    >>>[...]

    >>The "FAQ" for which that is part of a header is horribly out of date.

    >>What do the Cabal propose to do about it, either directly or by the
    >>Skirvinnical Rules?

    > I'm confused, how is this connected to newsgroup creation in any
    >way?
    >
    > Why don't you contact the author if you're concerned?

    The Cabal should be interested in all aspects of the management of the
    big-8, not just in newsgroup creation. It seems that they are not,
    however, and I wanted their degree of interest to be manifest.
    Therefore, your non-constructive response is actually beneficial to the
    present discussions.

    A responsible management committee would discourage antiquated FAQs from
    being robotically posted; would strongly discourage them in moderated
    groups; and would definitely moderate them out of the moderated groups
    which it controls.

    If an author of an aged FAQ truly and positively considers that it is
    still worth posting, then, to indicate that there is more than a long-
    standing CRON job involved, he can and should add an annual note like
    "Reviewed Jan 2005; no change needed". To be credible as a supplier of
    currently-valid information, an author needs to be distinguishable from
    a corpse; and there are few fields in which there is no new information
    worth presenting and no old information worth removing.

    You are a long-term member of a discredited management Cabal, and should
    therefore realise that you are not competent to advise on new
    arrangements. Does President Bush seek advice from President Hussein on
    the constitution of Iraq?

    --
    John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ???@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v4.00 MIME.
    Web - w. FAQish topics, links, acronyms

  5. Re: Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting]

    JRS: In article <2dn5m11ov3salfi518v2p6a3ttegoi4cif@4ax.com>, dated
    Fri, 28 Oct 2005 22:01:56, seen in news:news.groups, Henrietta K Thomas
    posted :
    >On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 18:40:09 +0100, in news.groups, Dr John Stockton
    > wrote:

    >>The "FAQ" for which that is part of a header is horribly out of date.
    >>
    >>What do the Cabal propose to do about it, either directly or by the
    >>Skirvinnical Rules?

    >Absolutely nothing, John. There is no Cabal -- yet. And even if there
    >were, the Cabal is not in charge of FAQs.

    The cabal should seek to exercise the powers necessary for the efficient
    running of the Big-8. As it clearly intends omnipotence, that should
    not be difficult. Posting of FAQs to the moderated answers groups is
    included in that.

    It's clearly silly to have a Cabal which is in charge of only part of
    the system whilst the operation of other parts of the system seems to
    receive no attention at all.

    If your hierarchy had FAQs cross-posted to a group such as
    news:us.answers, would you wish there to be material in there which had
    not been updated for a decade? I hope not.

    --
    John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v4.00 MIME
    Web -> Timo Salmi: Usenet Q&A.