ftp a particualr file? - Unix

This is a discussion on ftp a particualr file? - Unix ; We have unix server in which we have various logs lieing. >From windows machine/Desktop I wanted to run a program/batch file which should access the unix machine and grep logs with particular id like S1111. need to get those logs ...

  1. ftp a particualr file?

    We have unix server in which we have various logs lieing.

    >From windows machine/Desktop I wanted to run a program/batch file which

    should access the unix machine and grep logs with particular id like
    S1111.

    need to get those logs to Desktop which all have entries of that
    particular string.

    as of now I am manually going to server and greping the particualar id
    in the logs and FTPing it my local machine.

    I just wanted to automate this.

    I would really appreciate if you can help me regarding this issue.

  2. Re: ftp a particualr file?

    On 2005-10-26, kr.badrinath@gmail.com wrote:
    > We have unix server in which we have various logs lieing.
    >
    >>From windows machine/Desktop I wanted to run a program/batch file which

    > should access the unix machine and grep logs with particular id like
    > S1111.
    >
    > need to get those logs to Desktop which all have entries of that
    > particular string.
    >

    > as of now I am manually going to server and greping the particualar id
    > in the logs and FTPing it my local machine.
    >
    > I just wanted to automate this.

    Put the commands you use manually into a script and execute it by
    ssh.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson
    Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach, 2005, Apress

  3. Re: ftp a particualr file?

    Hi,

    I am not looking for the contents of FILE.
    sorry ! I forgot mention earlier that I am not supposed to create any
    shell script on unix box.

    So is there any way I can send grep commands to search particular id in
    the unixlogs from my windows Desktop.

    Thx

+ Reply to Thread