Changing shell line editors - Unix

This is a discussion on Changing shell line editors - Unix ; Is there a way by which one can change the command line editor in various shells, or is it built in with the shell? The quesion is to find a Unicode capable editor for selected shells (like tcsh, bash, etc.). ...

  1. Changing shell line editors

    Is there a way by which one can change the command line editor in various
    shells, or is it built in with the shell? The quesion is to find a Unicode
    capable editor for selected shells (like tcsh, bash, etc.). The Korn shell
    (ksh) seems to be Unicode capable, but other shells not.

    --
    Hans Aberg

  2. Re: Changing shell line editors

    Hans Aberg wrote:
    > Is there a way by which one can change the command line editor in various
    > shells, or is it built in with the shell? The quesion is to find a Unicode
    > capable editor for selected shells (like tcsh, bash, etc.). The Korn shell
    > (ksh) seems to be Unicode capable, but other shells not.

    Do you mean `set -o emacs' and `set -o vi' respectively?

    --
    reply to usenet only

  3. Re: Changing shell line editors

    On comp.unix.questions, in ,
    "mgrd" wrote:

    > Hans Aberg wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a way by which one can change the command line editor
    >> in various shells, or is it built in with the shell? The
    >> quesion is to find a Unicode capable editor for selected
    >> shells (like tcsh, bash, etc.). The Korn shell (ksh) seems to
    >> be Unicode capable, but other shells not.

    > Do you mean `set -o emacs' and `set -o vi' respectively?

    That would be bash, and both of those offer only 'shadows' of the
    real editors that carry those names.

    However, bash's fc command brings up the real deal for
    commandline editing.

    So if any editor can do what he wants, it would work. Just type
    fc, it brings up the last command entered in whatever editor
    you've specified in your $EDITOR environment variable, in a tmp
    file, and runs whatever is left when you are finished editing
    and exit the editor.

    Not quite what he wants, but it would work.

    I have a hunch that zsh might offer the functionality he wants
    right on the straight commandline, but am not sure.

    AC

    --
    People who post through google take and take and never give
    back. Ever seen one of them help anyone? If they are asking

  4. Re: Changing shell line editors

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:11:09 GMT, Hans Aberg wrote:
    > Is there a way by which one can change the command line editor in various
    > shells,

    Environment variables

    EDITOR=emacs <--- file editor
    VISUAL=vi <---- command line editor

    for extra points
    man $(basename $SHELL) or
    man `basename $SHELL` <-- back tics not apostrophies

  5. Re: Changing shell line editors

    In article , Bill Marcum
    wrote:

    > What makes you say that a given shell is or is not Unicode capable? Are you
    > using the latest version of each shell, and are the locale variables set
    > properly?

    Actually, I discovered some*confusing things:

    In the Mac OS 10.4.2 console Terminal (in its UTF-8 mode), when entering
    Unicode characters in UTF-8 from the keyboard, they get translated into
    octal escape sequences. On the other hand, when I invoke ksh, all Unicode
    characters are properly displayed, if the font can manage it.

    In the X-Window*that comes with Mac OS 10.4, if I use "uxterm", then the
    situation is the reverse: The Unicode UTF-8 are properly displayed in
    bash, but not ksh.

    Of course, I am interested figuring out getting it correct in both pictures. :-)
    (Changing the editor to emacs or vi command line versions does not help at all.)

    --
    Hans Aberg

+ Reply to Thread