How to Kill daemon Process - Unix

This is a discussion on How to Kill daemon Process - Unix ; Hi, I have 2 Questions... Q1) Can anyone let me know what is the command to kill daemon process? Q2) I do ps command and know the PID of running process. Now I want to kill any of these processes. ...

  1. How to Kill daemon Process

    Hi,

    I have 2 Questions...
    Q1) Can anyone let me know what is the command to kill daemon process?

    Q2) I do ps command and know the PID of running process. Now I want to
    kill any of these processes.
    Can we have a scanerio where, I perform kill on say PID '2345'. But by
    the time I send the Kill signal. It already must have moved to some
    other state and it kill gives the PID doesnot exists. Is scanerio
    exists?
    thanks in advance
    Raj

  2. Re: How to Kill daemon Process

    I think your process in /etc/inittab respan state. its dieing and
    restrating frequently.

    -SR

  3. Re: How to Kill daemon Process

    Hi SR,

    As you said the process is dieing and restarting frequently. So, is
    there any mechanism to kill such process? That is , I want to kill the
    process .when the kill request is send. the pid doesnot exist. Can we
    handle this?

  4. Re: How to Kill daemon Process

    rajashekar14@yahoo.com wrote:
    > As you said the process is dieing and restarting frequently. So, is
    > there any mechanism to kill such process? That is , I want to kill the
    > process .when the kill request is send. the pid doesnot exist. Can we
    > handle this?

    It seems your problem is not to kill the process - since it's dead
    already - but to omitt the respawing.

    As sfgroups already said, have a look at /etc/inittab for the program
    name.
    If it's there and prefixed with `respawn', comment out that line.
    After that run `/sbin/telinit q' to let init re-read /etc/inittab

    --
    reply to usenet only

  5. Re: How to Kill daemon Process

    No, my problem is I want to Kill such process..because it was dead at
    kill signal was sent. But it will come up after sometime..rt ..so I
    want to kill such process.

  6. Re: How to Kill daemon Process

    No, I want to Kill such process. because when i sent the kill signal
    ..the process was down.But in future it will come up. So, I wanted to
    kill it at first go.

  7. Re: How to Kill daemon Process

    rajashekar14@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hi SR,
    >
    > As you said the process is dieing and restarting frequently. So, is
    > there any mechanism to kill such process? That is , I want to kill the
    > process .when the kill request is send. the pid doesnot exist. Can we
    > handle this?

    No there's no way to kill processes that don't yet exist. You have to
    stop whatever process is generating them. Otherwise you'll need a
    watchdog process/script to watch for these processes and kill them when
    they appear.

    To get more help you'll need to provide details.

    -- ced

    --
    Chuck Dillon
    Senior Software Engineer