Xterm & Unicode - Unix

This is a discussion on Xterm & Unicode - Unix ; Please redirect me to an appropriate forum, if this is the wrong place. I want to type, edit and display Unicode*characters in xterm (under Mac OS 10.4.2). Then "xterm +lc -u8 &"*gets me an xterm by which some UTF-8 characters ...

  1. Xterm & Unicode

    Please redirect me to an appropriate forum, if this is the wrong place.

    I want to type, edit and display Unicode*characters in xterm (under Mac OS
    10.4.2). Then "xterm +lc -u8 &"*gets me an xterm by which some UTF-8
    characters can displayed, for example "ls -v" or "ls -w" can display some
    math symbols, but not Arabic (I think the font might be variation of
    Courier). In the Mac OS X console Terminal, the Korn shell seems to work
    just fine with UTF-8 editing.

    But in xterm, all non-ASCII characters seem to be*disabled on keyboard
    input. How do I*enable those? Also, if I want to set my own Unicode fonts
    for use with xterm, how do I do that?

    --
    Hans Aberg

  2. Re: Xterm & Unicode

    Hans Aberg wrote:
    > Please redirect me to an appropriate forum, if this is the wrong place.

    > I want to type, edit and display Unicode*characters in xterm (under Mac OS
    > 10.4.2). Then "xterm +lc -u8 &"*gets me an xterm by which some UTF-8
    > characters can displayed, for example "ls -v" or "ls -w" can display some
    > math symbols, but not Arabic (I think the font might be variation of
    > Courier). In the Mac OS X console Terminal, the Korn shell seems to work
    > just fine with UTF-8 editing.

    > But in xterm, all non-ASCII characters seem to be*disabled on keyboard
    > input. How do I*enable those? Also, if I want to set my own Unicode fonts
    > for use with xterm, how do I do that?

    If you've started xterm in UTF-8 mode, it expects UTF-8 input from the
    keyboard. Though that requires some qualification:

    a) you have to set your locale to correspond

    b) some additional locales are supported via luit (which recodes
    input/output).

    c) I'm not sure what version of xterm ("xterm -v") is on that system.
    Ports tend to be a year or two behind, so I may be forgetting a
    relevant bug.

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  3. Re: Xterm & Unicode

    On comp.unix.questions, in
    ,
    "Hans Aberg" wrote:

    > Please redirect me to an appropriate forum, if this is the
    > wrong place.
    >
    > I want to type, edit and display Unicode*characters in xterm
    > (under Mac OS 10.4.2). Then "xterm +lc -u8 &"*gets me an xterm
    > by which some UTF-8 characters can displayed, for example "ls
    > -v" or "ls -w" can display some math symbols, but not Arabic (I
    > think the font might be variation of Courier). In the Mac OS X
    > console Terminal, the Korn shell seems to work just fine with
    > UTF-8 editing.
    >
    > But in xterm, all non-ASCII characters seem to be*disabled on
    > keyboard input. How do I*enable those? Also, if I want to set
    > my own Unicode fonts for use with xterm, how do I do that?
    >
    > -- Hans Aberg

    You could try comp.os.linux.x, too.

    Thomas Dickey, xterm's maintainer, monitors that group.

    AC

  4. Re: Xterm & Unicode

    In article <11e4mk3qlvmu120@corp.supernews.com>, Thomas Dickey
    wrote:

    > > But in xterm, all non-ASCII characters seem to be*disabled on keyboard
    > > input. How do I*enable those?

    > If you've started xterm in UTF-8 mode, it expects UTF-8 input from the
    > keyboard. Though that requires some qualification:
    >
    > a) you have to set your locale to correspond
    >
    > b) some additional locales are supported via luit (which recodes
    > input/output).
    >
    > c) I'm not sure what version of xterm ("xterm -v") is on that system.
    > Ports tend to be a year or two behind, so I may be forgetting a
    > relevant bug.

    As for c:

    $ xterm -v
    XFree86 4.3.99.903(184)

    The Mac OS 10.4.2 has a XFree86 (is says version 4.4.0 at one place, but I
    am not sure this is the XFree86 version), with a Mach kernel, and X11R6.

    --
    Hans Aberg

  5. Re: Xterm & Unicode

    In article ,
    haberg@math.su.se (Hans Aberg) wrote:

    > But in xterm, all non-ASCII characters seem to be*disabled on keyboard
    > input. How do I*enable those?

    Actually, there is a script "uxterm &" which one can use (as pointed out
    to me in the newsgroup comp.os.linux.x).

    --
    Hans Aberg

+ Reply to Thread