Query about .jar and .tar files - Unix

This is a discussion on Query about .jar and .tar files - Unix ; here is my query!!!!! How to extract the contents of .jar and .tar files in unix?...

  1. Query about .jar and .tar files

    here is my query!!!!!

    How to extract the contents of .jar and .tar files in unix?

  2. Re: Query about .jar and .tar files

    On comp.unix.questions, in <1116607909.086635.204030@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>, "Meghna" wrote:

    > here is my query!!!!!
    >
    > How to extract the contents of .jar and .tar files in unix?

    Here is my response!!!!!

    Don't know jar, but for tar:

    tar -xvf file.tar

    "x" for extract; "v" for verbose ("vv" for very
    verbose); "f" before the filename.

    If it is a tar.gz or .tgz, then:

    tar -xvzf file.tar.gz

    If it is .tar.bz2, then

    tar -xvjf file.tar.bz2

    I am using GNU tar here.

    See man tar (or better: info tar). It has _many_ options.

    AC

    --
    alanconnor AT earthlink DOT net
    Use your real return address or I'll never know you

  3. Re: Query about .jar and .tar files

    "Meghna" writes:

    > How to extract the contents of .jar and .tar files in unix?

    Jar files are Java ARchive files. If you have a Java runtime
    environment installed, you can use the 'jar' utility with more
    or less the same arguments as you would the 'tar' program. For
    example, the following will list the contents of the archive:

    kaz@coco:~$ jar -tvf maven/lib/ant-1.5.3-1.jar
    0 Wed Apr 16 19:22:36 EDT 2003 META-INF/
    518 Wed Apr 16 19:22:34 EDT 2003 META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
    0 Wed Apr 16 19:22:16 EDT 2003 org/
    0 Wed Apr 16 19:22:16 EDT 2003 org/apache/