Low life admins - Unix

This is a discussion on Low life admins - Unix ; This subject/label certainly doesn't apply to all, but over the years, essentially since the inception of the internet, I've had the misfortune of crossing paths with a good many prima donna, egotistical, megalomaniac, dick-headed system administrators who, for God knows ...

  1. Low life admins

    This subject/label certainly doesn't apply to all,
    but over the years, essentially since the inception of the internet,
    I've had the misfortune of crossing paths with a good many
    prima donna, egotistical, megalomaniac, dick-headed system administrators
    who, for God knows what reason, think they're completely unaccountable,
    and completely incapable of common courtesy, or respect for the people
    they "serve", or in some cases, even their superiors.
    I know it's easy to get cynical, and run out of patience with some users,
    but it used to be that (most) old-school, administrators had a fair amount
    of integrity and took [our] responsibilities seriously.

    I've even discussed it with other sysadmins (whom I believe to be fairly
    normal), and many
    agree that there is a good many system admins out there, (regardless of the
    "flavor",
    or even if it's your IT Windows Admin) that share this personality defect,
    aka unbearable, pompous ass!

    Personally, I think they're either insecure, or they think they're a cut
    above
    the rest of us and have an ego problem. (Similar to your local musician who
    is a
    "legend in his own mind", perhaps)

    I recently quit an excellent job, after 4 years with a telecomm company,
    giving up over $100,000 a year, because I got fed up with the runaround from
    these types.Trying to get info, i.e. password info
    to access servers I was supposed to be responsible for. I was getting
    pressure from my superiors,
    and users for SOP maintenance issues.
    My predecessor left w/o giving passwords to anyone, and the "contacts" he
    named
    that would have the info denied all knowledge. (Great teamwork!)

    I truly believe (as administrators) we have a responsibility not only to our
    users, but
    to one another, NOT to withhold information. It's so frustrating, I'd like
    to just straighten
    these kinds of problems out by beating the hell out of the same, insecure,
    passive-aggressive,
    dick-heads!
    But I suppose these types aren't familiar with terms like,
    "responsibility", and "integrity".
    I imagine they're the same one's that leave the workplace to go home and
    spread viruses
    and spam.

    Opinions?

    Just venting my $.02 -rj

  2. Re: Low life admins

    "OICU812" wrote:

    >I recently quit an excellent job, after 4 years with a telecomm company,

    That's 4 years living in a Dilbert Cartoon...

    Didn't you know about telephone companies before? (Well, now
    you do!)

    >giving up over $100,000 a year, because I got fed up with the runaround from
    >these types.Trying to get info, i.e. password info
    >to access servers I was supposed to be responsible for. I was getting
    >pressure from my superiors,
    >and users for SOP maintenance issues.

    Imagine that, they want the work done? And only gave you 4
    years to do it???

    > My predecessor left w/o giving passwords to anyone, and the "contacts" he
    >named
    >that would have the info denied all knowledge. (Great teamwork!)

    After 4 years, one would think you would have learned how to
    physically break into *every* device you are responsible for,
    to reset the passwords to whatever you like.

    >I truly believe (as administrators) we have a responsibility not only to our
    >users, but
    >to one another, NOT to withhold information. It's so frustrating, I'd like
    >to just straighten
    >these kinds of problems out by beating the hell out of the same, insecure,
    >passive-aggressive,
    >dick-heads!

    So why blame other people if you are incompetent?

    *You* were the responsible admin... for *four* years no less.

    > But I suppose these types aren't familiar with terms like,
    >"responsibility", and "integrity".
    >I imagine they're the same one's that leave the workplace to go home and
    >spread viruses
    >and spam.
    >
    >Opinions?

    If any of your virus or spam efforts have been serious, you probably
    shouldn't talk about.

    --
    Floyd L. Davidson
    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd@barrow.com