Running a Windows application from a UNIX server - Unix

This is a discussion on Running a Windows application from a UNIX server - Unix ; >From UNIX, I want to be able to run a Windows application. The details: >From UNIX, I have a program written in a langauge called Synergy DBL. It allows me to run any UNIX command from within the code via ...

  1. Running a Windows application from a UNIX server

    >From UNIX, I want to be able to run a Windows application.

    The details:
    >From UNIX, I have a program written in a langauge called Synergy DBL.

    It allows me to run any UNIX command from within the code via a spawn
    command.

    However, instead of running a UNIX command, I'd like to run a Windows
    application (i.e. Excel, Word, a batch job (.bat), etc...).

    I've heard about rpcclient, but after reading about it, I'm not so sure
    this is my answer.

    Is anyone familiar with a UNIX command that can say "hey, Windows, I
    want to run your Excel spreadsheet program using these parameters".
    And then Windows would run it as if I was actually logged into Windows
    and running Excel by hand.

    Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

  2. Re: Running a Windows application from a UNIX server

    cac0220@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>From UNIX, I want to be able to run a Windows application.

    > The details:
    >>From UNIX, I have a program written in a langauge called Synergy DBL.

    > It allows me to run any UNIX command from within the code via a spawn
    > command.
    >
    > However, instead of running a UNIX command, I'd like to run a Windows
    > application (i.e. Excel, Word, a batch job (.bat), etc...).
    >
    > I've heard about rpcclient, but after reading about it, I'm not so sure
    > this is my answer.
    >
    > Is anyone familiar with a UNIX command that can say "hey, Windows, I
    > want to run your Excel spreadsheet program using these parameters".
    > And then Windows would run it as if I was actually logged into Windows
    > and running Excel by hand.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

    You need to approach your problem from the Winders side. Your Winders
    box effectively must become a server of the services you want to access
    from a remote UNIX box.

    Standard mechanisms (i.e. protocols) that you can utilize from UNIX
    include ssh (secure) and rsh (assumes a trusted environment). They
    require that your Winders box has an sshd or rshd respectively running
    (for example as a Winders service). Once the deamon is in place your
    UNIX box can use an ssh or rsh client to make requests.

    If you need a secure and private connection look for an ssh
    implementation for Winders. If you don't need a secure connection look
    for rshd. Google is your friend.

    I believe MS has a minimal implementation of rshd included in it's
    TCP/IP support package. You can get both of these daemons by
    installing u/win (http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/uwin/) or cygwin
    (cygwin.com) and configuring them properly. You might have to compile
    sshd to get it.

    HTH,

    -- ced

    --
    Chuck Dillon
    Senior Software Engineer

  3. Re: Running a Windows application from a UNIX server

    Thank you for your response. After I read your response, I found a
    document at Microsoft's web site that pretty much said what you did. I
    was so blinded looking at it from a UNIX starting point, I never
    considered it looking from the Windows end. Thanks again for your
    help. Much appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread