Old Unix Install Problem - Unix

This is a discussion on Old Unix Install Problem - Unix ; Hello, Could anybody help me. I have been trying to install SCO Unix 3.2v4.2 (old!) onto a Compact Proliant 1500 Server with a 32 Bit Wide SCSI 2 Hard drive controller. I downloaded the EFS 3.18 supplement and made a ...

  1. Old Unix Install Problem

    Hello,
    Could anybody help me. I have been trying to install SCO Unix
    3.2v4.2 (old!) onto a Compact Proliant 1500 Server with a 32 Bit Wide SCSI 2
    Hard drive controller. I downloaded the EFS 3.18 supplement and made a new
    N1 disk. I link in a CUCHA boot time loadable driver at Boot: This enabaled
    the older version of Unix to see my 2.1Gb Drive and controller. My problem
    is that on installation it sees the drive o.k., lets me make a Unix
    partition, /u filesystem etc. Accepts the N1 and N2 disks set the language,
    country and so on..... BUT when I put in the M1 disk, it says :-

    Extracting Files .......

    (NULL)

    inst4/rtsinstall failed.

    It then proceeds to "Press Any Key to Re-boot. "

    If I reboot it end up in the same place.

    I cannot find out what may be wrong as the error message is less than
    helpfull.!!

    If anybody (with a good memory) can help me out here I would greatly
    appreciate it. I know it's an old system but it's imperative I get this
    working.

    Many Thanks

    Adrian Smith.

  2. Re: Old Unix Install Problem

    On comp.unix.questions, in , "Bob" wrote:

    This post says "Re:" but has no parent reference.

    I checked out the alias "Bob" at:

    It says you have posted 6322 times this month alone.

    Bye.

    AC

    --
    If you posted to me, and I didn't reply to your post, it is
    because I didn't read it. If I didn't read it, I won't be reading

  3. Re: Old Unix Install Problem

    Thankyou for that very insightful bit or research. Unfortunately it doesn't
    help me with my problem. Never mind at least now i know that people called
    'Bob' have posted 6322 times!! Fascinating.

    news:neLee.6440$GQ5.953@newsread1.news.pas.earthli nk.net...

    , "Bob" wrote:

    > This post says "Re:" but has no parent reference.
    >
    > I checked out the alias "Bob" at:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
    >
    > It says you have posted 6322 times this month alone.
    >
    > Bye.
    >

    > AC
    >
    > --
    > If you posted to me, and I didn't reply to your post, it is
    > because I didn't read it. If I didn't read it, I won't be reading
    > any responses to it either.

  4. Re: Old Unix Install Problem

    On comp.unix.questions, in , "Alan Connor" wrote:

    > On comp.unix.questions, in , "Bob" wrote:
    >
    > This post says "Re:" but has no parent reference.
    >
    > I checked out the alias "Bob" at:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
    >
    > It says you have posted 6322 times this month alone.
    >
    > Bye.
    >

    > AC
    >
    > --
    > If you posted to me, and I didn't reply to your post, it is
    > because I didn't read it. If I didn't read it, I won't be reading
    > any responses to it either.

    ""Bob""

    I don't read the posts of trolls, once I have identified them.

    Think and post anything you wish. I can ignore an infinite
    number of posts.

    The Usenet is being destroyed by assholes like you, who
    hide behind common aliases that make it impossible
    to review their posting history.

    And change aliases all of the time to evade people's killfiles.

    Won't work with me.

    I am TELLING you, right now, to shut your ****ing mouth,
    and you will keep it shut in my presence. I guarantee it.

    Morph to your heart's desire. If your new alias doesn't have
    a posting history, or is a common name, I just won't read
    your posts.

    (scripts do this for me, automatically, it isn't any work at
    all)

    If you are totally new to the Usenet, which I doubt very much,
    then pick a unique alias (which includes the address on your
    From line: It isn't that one that counts; it's the Reply-To
    address or, if you are smart, a munged address in your sig.)

    Check to see if the alias has been taken at:

    And stick with it. That includes keeping the same address on
    your From line.

    You will find that I am not alone in being fed up with the
    trolls who are destroying the Usenet.

    Look like a troll, and you will be treated like one.

    Don't **** with your From line at all. No quotes or
    or non-printing or non-ascii characters or anything
    but a-zA-Z0-9. Except for an address in <> or a
    name in ().

    If someone plugs your From header contents into the above
    URL on the Author line, and it comes back as having no
    posting history because it is too screwed up for google
    to deal with, then YOU are history.

    I access two different newsservers (one just to read from).

    One of them, the read-only one, has 10X the posts of Earthlink,
    for many groups, because Earthlink has learned to dump a lot of
    troll posts.

    I have verified that it is only trolls that are being dumped
    by Earthlink.

    (or people that are following the examples set by trolls, and
    thus are too stupid to bother talking with anyway)

    And this trend will continue.

    AC

    --
    If you posted to me, and I didn't reply to your post, it is
    because I didn't read it. If I didn't read it, I won't be reading
    any responses to it either.

  5. Re: Old Unix Install Problem

    Bob wrote:
    > Thankyou for that very insightful bit or research. Unfortunately it doesn't
    > help me with my problem. Never mind at least now i know that people called
    > 'Bob' have posted 6322 times!! Fascinating.

    AC is a net kook. Pay no mind to him.

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

  6. Re: Old Unix Install Problem

    Alan Connor writes:

    > I am TELLING you, right now, to shut your ****ing mouth,
    > and you will keep it shut in my presence. I guarantee it.

    > If you are totally new to the Usenet,

    8<------8<------8<------8< Crapsnip 8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------

    Ah yes, the old spirit of welcome and friendliness we know and love....

    Hi there Bob - afraid I can't answer your original question, but you
    should be warned that Connor is _deranged_, seriously deranged. All this
    tough-guy posing means nothing at all.

    Hope someone comes up with an answer for you soon.

    atb

    Glyn

  7. Re: Old Unix Install Problem

    Thanks Glyn. Nice to know there are friendly people out there. Usenets a
    great resource. Here's hoping somebody can help. :-)

    "Glyn Millington" wrote in message
    > Alan Connor writes:
    >
    > > I am TELLING you, right now, to shut your ****ing mouth,
    > > and you will keep it shut in my presence. I guarantee it.

    > > If you are totally new to the Usenet,

    > 8<------8<------8<------8< Crapsnip

    8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------

    > Ah yes, the old spirit of welcome and friendliness we know and love....
    >

    > Hi there Bob - afraid I can't answer your original question, but you
    > should be warned that Connor is _deranged_, seriously deranged. All this
    > tough-guy posing means nothing at all.
    >
    > Hope someone comes up with an answer for you soon.
    >
    > atb
    >

    > Glyn

  8. Re: Old Unix Install Problem

    Bob,

    Why does it need to be installed on SCSI drives?

    I'd try installing on a really small partition on an IDE drive, just to see
    if it works.

    I don't know if that vintage SCO even worked with SCSI-2. There weren't
    2.1Gb drives in those days either.

    Best bet is to try getting the hardware as closely configured to the 'state
    of the art' from the past.

    "Bob" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > Could anybody help me. I have been trying to install SCO Unix
    > 3.2v4.2 (old!) onto a Compact Proliant 1500 Server with a 32 Bit Wide SCSI

    2
    > Hard drive controller. I downloaded the EFS 3.18 supplement and made a new
    > N1 disk. I link in a CUCHA boot time loadable driver at Boot: This

    enabaled
    > the older version of Unix to see my 2.1Gb Drive and controller. My problem
    > is that on installation it sees the drive o.k., lets me make a Unix
    > partition, /u filesystem etc. Accepts the N1 and N2 disks set the

    language,
    > country and so on..... BUT when I put in the M1 disk, it says :-
    >
    > Extracting Files .......
    >
    > (NULL)
    >
    > inst4/rtsinstall failed.
    >
    > It then proceeds to "Press Any Key to Re-boot. "
    >
    > If I reboot it end up in the same place.
    >
    > I cannot find out what may be wrong as the error message is less than
    > helpfull.!!
    >
    > If anybody (with a good memory) can help me out here I would greatly
    > appreciate it. I know it's an old system but it's imperative I get this
    > working.
    >
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Adrian Smith.

  9. Re: Old Unix Install Problem

    Hi,
    The Server I'm using has an embedded SCSI -2 32 bit wide controller and
    two 2.1Gb drives. The 3.18 supplement for SCO 3.2v4.2 comes with a btld
    driver and a new N1 disk that enables that controller to be recognised by
    that version. That bit seems to work o.k. as originally it failed to see the
    hard drive at all. Now it sees the drive, loads the BTLD, lets you
    partition it, gets all the way through N1,N2 but just falls over with an
    unhelpfull (NULL) statement when M1 is being used. I've tried to use an old
    (1992) 340 Mb SCSI drive on the SCSI-1 slot on the mother board but it does
    the same. The frustrating bit is, i've seen plenty of (old) posts in Usenet
    of people who have SCO 3.2v4.2 running on Proliant 1500's. Can't think of a
    way around this problem with disk M1 though? as the installation just stops
    dead and forces you to re-boot. :-(

    "Steve Foley" wrote in message
    > Bob,
    >
    > Why does it need to be installed on SCSI drives?
    >
    > I'd try installing on a really small partition on an IDE drive, just to

    see
    > if it works.
    >
    > I don't know if that vintage SCO even worked with SCSI-2. There weren't
    > 2.1Gb drives in those days either.
    >
    > Best bet is to try getting the hardware as closely configured to the

    'state
    > of the art' from the past.
    >

    > "Bob" wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > > Could anybody help me. I have been trying to install SCO Unix
    > > 3.2v4.2 (old!) onto a Compact Proliant 1500 Server with a 32 Bit Wide

    SCSI
    > 2
    > > Hard drive controller. I downloaded the EFS 3.18 supplement and made a

    new
    > > N1 disk. I link in a CUCHA boot time loadable driver at Boot: This

    > enabaled
    > > the older version of Unix to see my 2.1Gb Drive and controller. My

    problem
    > > is that on installation it sees the drive o.k., lets me make a Unix
    > > partition, /u filesystem etc. Accepts the N1 and N2 disks set the

    > language,
    > > country and so on..... BUT when I put in the M1 disk, it says :-
    > >
    > > Extracting Files .......
    > >
    > > (NULL)
    > >
    > > inst4/rtsinstall failed.
    > >
    > > It then proceeds to "Press Any Key to Re-boot. "
    > >
    > > If I reboot it end up in the same place.
    > >
    > > I cannot find out what may be wrong as the error message is less than
    > > helpfull.!!
    > >
    > > If anybody (with a good memory) can help me out here I would greatly
    > > appreciate it. I know it's an old system but it's imperative I get this
    > > working.
    > >
    > > Many Thanks
    > >
    > > Adrian Smith.

  10. Re: Old Unix Install Problem

    Can you install to an IDE drive? Is it possible your M1 disk is bad? Maybe
    another device it doesn't recognize?

    It's been a long time since I installed SCO. I'd start eliminating
    possibilities. If it's the SCSI causing the problem, you may be able to
    install to another type of drive and backup/restore to the SCSI.

    "Bob" wrote in message
> [...]

    > > enabaled
    > > > the older version of Unix to see my 2.1Gb Drive and controller. My

    > problem
    > > > is that on installation it sees the drive o.k., lets me make a Unix
    > > > partition, /u filesystem etc. Accepts the N1 and N2 disks set the

    > > language,
    > > > country and so on..... BUT when I put in the M1 disk, it says :-
    > > >
    > > > Extracting Files .......
    > > >
    > > > (NULL)
    > > >
    > > > inst4/rtsinstall failed.
    > > >
    > > > It then proceeds to "Press Any Key to Re-boot. "
    > > >
    > > > If I reboot it end up in the same place.
    > > >
    > > > I cannot find out what may be wrong as the error message is less than
    > > > helpfull.!!
    > > >
    > > > If anybody (with a good memory) can help me out here I would greatly
    > > > appreciate it. I know it's an old system but it's imperative I get

  11. Re: Old Unix Install Problem

    On Mon, 09 May 2005 07:56:49 +0000, Alan Connor wrote:

    [crapsnip]

    > I am TELLING you, right now, to shut your ****ing mouth,
    > and you will keep it shut in my presence. I guarantee it.

    Jesus, *what* a twat.
    Only on Usenet. Anywhere else and he'd be locked up immediately.

    B.
    --
    To err is human. To moo, bovine.

  12. Re: Old Unix Install Problem

    On Mon, 09 May 2005 at 20:28 GMT, Brian wrote:
    > On Mon, 09 May 2005 07:56:49 +0000, Alan Connor wrote:
    >
    > [crapsnip]
    >>
    >> I am TELLING you, right now, to shut your ****ing mouth,
    >> and you will keep it shut in my presence. I guarantee it.
    >>

    > Jesus, *what* a twat.
    > Only on Usenet. Anywhere else and he'd be locked up immediately.

    As far as most of us are concerned, he IS locked up -- in our
    killfiles. The only time we see his raving is when someone
    (usually new to the group) posts a followup.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson
    Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach, 2005, Apress

  13. Re: Old Unix Install Problem

    On Mon, 09 May 2005 16:58:36 -0400, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

    [snips]

    > As far as most of us are concerned, he IS locked up -- in our
    > killfiles. The only time we see his raving is when someone
    > (usually new to the group) posts a followup.

    Hmm, good point. I should've known better.
    My occasional AC prodding to see what noise he makes isn't necessarily to
    anyone else's amusement and on balance, he really is safest when killfiled.

    Sorry...

    B.
    --
    Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

  14. Re: Old Unix Install Problem

    "Chris F.A. Johnson" writes:

    > On Mon, 09 May 2005 at 20:28 GMT, Brian wrote:
    > > On Mon, 09 May 2005 07:56:49 +0000, Alan Connor wrote:
    > >
    > > [crapsnip]
    > >>
    > >> I am TELLING you, right now, to shut your ****ing mouth,
    > >> and you will keep it shut in my presence. I guarantee it.
    > >>

    > > Jesus, *what* a twat.
    > > Only on Usenet. Anywhere else and he'd be locked up immediately.

    > As far as most of us are concerned, he IS locked up -- in our
    > killfiles. The only time we see his raving is when someone
    > (usually new to the group) posts a followup.

    Oddly, he does make the occasional post that
    is genuinely helpful.

    -SEan

  15. Re: Old Unix Install Problem

    On Mon, 09 May 2005 at 22:55 GMT, Sean Burke wrote:

    > "Chris F.A. Johnson" writes:
    >
    >> On Mon, 09 May 2005 at 20:28 GMT, Brian wrote:
    >> > On Mon, 09 May 2005 07:56:49 +0000, Alan Connor wrote:
    >> >
    >> > [crapsnip]

    >> > Jesus, *what* a twat.
    >> > Only on Usenet. Anywhere else and he'd be locked up immediately.

    >> As far as most of us are concerned, he IS locked up -- in our
    >> killfiles. The only time we see his raving is when someone
    >> (usually new to the group) posts a followup.

    > Oddly, he does make the occasional post that
    > is genuinely helpful.

    That's quite true, and we've seen hime progress form a newbie to,
    in many ways, a competent shell scripter.

    And then there are time when the casting of bait is just too great
    a temptation. And he swallows it hook line and sinker even when
    (or especially when?) he claims not to have read the post to which
    he is replying.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson
    Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach, 2005, Apress

  16. Re: Old Unix Install Problem

    Bob,
    I feel your pain. I've been working to reload SVR3 on an Intel
    architecture machine for a year now. I have the system installed and all I
    don't have is LP (install disk X1 I hear). Anyways, I have several other
    disks (including M1) and a tape (which seems to have most of the OS on it).
    I am in no way an expert on SCO (I never even used it before taking on this
    recovery project) but if I can be of any help, let me know.

    P.S. I hope you've already solved your dilemma, but I know how long these
    things can linger on.
    "Bob" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > Could anybody help me. I have been trying to install SCO Unix
    > 3.2v4.2 (old!) onto a Compact Proliant 1500 Server with a 32 Bit Wide SCSI
    > 2
    > Hard drive controller. I downloaded the EFS 3.18 supplement and made a new
    > N1 disk. I link in a CUCHA boot time loadable driver at Boot: This
    > enabaled
    > the older version of Unix to see my 2.1Gb Drive and controller. My problem
    > is that on installation it sees the drive o.k., lets me make a Unix
    > partition, /u filesystem etc. Accepts the N1 and N2 disks set the
    > language,
    > country and so on..... BUT when I put in the M1 disk, it says :-
    >
    > Extracting Files .......
    >
    > (NULL)
    >
    > inst4/rtsinstall failed.
    >
    > It then proceeds to "Press Any Key to Re-boot. "
    >
    > If I reboot it end up in the same place.
    >
    > I cannot find out what may be wrong as the error message is less than
    > helpfull.!!
    >
    > If anybody (with a good memory) can help me out here I would greatly
    > appreciate it. I know it's an old system but it's imperative I get this
    > working.
    >
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Adrian Smith.

  17. Re: Old Unix Install Problem

    Bob wrote:
    > the older version of Unix to see my 2.1Gb Drive and controller. My problem
    > is that on installation it sees the drive o.k., lets me make a *Unix
    > partition, /u filesystem etc. Accepts the N1 and N2 disks set the*
    > language,
    > country and so on..... BUT when I put in the M1 disk, it says :-
    >
    > Extracting Files .......
    >
    > (NULL)
    >
    > inst4/rtsinstall failed.
    >
    > It then proceeds to "Press Any Key to Re-boot. "
    >
    > If I reboot it end up in the same place.

    3 things jump out at me and these are just wild guesses -

    1) have you been able to or do you have a way of determining that you M1 disk
    is in fact still good since you are getting the NULL response,

    2) could it be you are pushing the 2gb limit which I believe was in affect on
    that age SCO Unix. My 3.2v4.2 systems are less that 2gb so can't tell you for
    sure what the limit was,

    3) Is is possible the size of your disk drive or the geometry or are you by any
    change making it a dual boot machine causing you to need biosgeom as part of
    the boot parameters.

    bk

  18. Re: Old Unix Install Problem

    Curt wrote:
    > architecture machine for a year now. *I have the system installed and all I*
    > don't have is LP (install disk X1 I hear). *Anyways, I have several other*

    Which version - I have a 3.2v4.2 Open Desktop/Open Server Development system
    full set. But I don't see any Xn diskettes. On min I have the N1 and N2 then
    the M1 and then I have P1 thru P43. This would have installed the full OS and
    since I have an lp that would have been installed as well.

    How did you install yours - I am sure there must be more missing than just lp
    since lp is just one of many programs for working with the printer and
    spoolers.

    The development disks for my system are simply numbered 1 to 28 with no letter
    but they would not include the lp as that would be part of the OS.

    bk

+ Reply to Thread