wired file permissions - Unix

This is a discussion on wired file permissions - Unix ; Hi, Sorry if I come to the wrong place. I am confused by the file permissions on my ubuntu (feisty) desktop. I created a folder and chmod 0755. But in nautilus (version 2.18.1), the permission is displayed as 1600755. What ...

  1. wired file permissions

    Hi,

    Sorry if I come to the wrong place. I am confused by the file
    permissions on my ubuntu (feisty) desktop. I created a folder and chmod
    0755. But in nautilus (version 2.18.1), the permission is displayed as
    1600755. What does 160 mean?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: wired file permissions

    Bill Marcum wrote On 2007年06月05日 02:20, :
    > On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 17:09:05 +0800, Jerry Fleming
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Sorry if I come to the wrong place. I am confused by the file
    >> permissions on my ubuntu (feisty) desktop. I created a folder and chmod
    >> 0755. But in nautilus (version 2.18.1), the permission is displayed as
    >> 1600755. What does 160 mean?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Are you using a 64-bit system? What filesystem are you using? (Is ext3
    > still the default in feisty?) On my dapper system, "man 2 chmod" only
    > mentions 4 octal digits: three for rwx permissions, and the fourth digit
    > is for setuid, setgid and the sticky bit. Maybe the extra digits are
    > something specific to nautilus.

    No, I am using the 32-bit version on an ext3 partition. It has nothing
    to do with the actual permission, the one exposed by lstat. It was only
    displayed abnormally in nautilus.

    I checked the source code of nautilus, and found nothing.

  3. Re: wired file permissions

    In article ,
    Jerry Fleming wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Sorry if I come to the wrong place. I am confused by the file
    > permissions on my ubuntu (feisty) desktop. I created a folder and chmod
    > 0755. But in nautilus (version 2.18.1), the permission is displayed as
    > 1600755. What does 160 mean?

    I suspect nautilus is displaying the entire file mode attribute, not
    just the permissions, which includes the type field that specifies that
    it's a directory special file.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  4. Re: wired file permissions

    In article ,
    Barry Margolin wrote:
    >In article ,
    > Jerry Fleming wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Sorry if I come to the wrong place. I am confused by the file
    >> permissions on my ubuntu (feisty) desktop. I created a folder and chmod
    >> 0755. But in nautilus (version 2.18.1), the permission is displayed as
    >> 1600755. What does 160 mean?

    >I suspect nautilus is displaying the entire file mode attribute, not
    >just the permissions, which includes the type field that specifies that
    >it's a directory special file.

    But on Linux, S_IFDIR is 040000, not 01600000; there doesn't seem to be any
    file type that is 01600000.

    --
    Alan Curry
    pacman@world.std.com

  5. Re: wired file permissions

    pacman@TheWorld.com (Alan Curry) wrote:
    # In article ,
    # Barry Margolin wrote:
    # >In article ,
    # > Jerry Fleming wrote:
    # >
    # >> Hi,
    # >>
    # >> Sorry if I come to the wrong place. I am confused by the file
    # >> permissions on my ubuntu (feisty) desktop. I created a folder and chmod
    # >> 0755. But in nautilus (version 2.18.1), the permission is displayed as
    # >> 1600755. What does 160 mean?
    # >
    #
    # But on Linux, S_IFDIR is 040000, not 01600000; there doesn't seem to be any
    # file type that is 01600000.

    File modes are usually 16 bits, but 01600755 is 19 bits.
    Assuming it's not a typo, it's something peculiar to that system.

    --
    SM Ryan http://www.rawbw.com/~wyrmwif/
    Raining down sulphur is like an endurance trial, man. Genocide is the

  6. Re: wired file permissions

    "Alan Curry" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > In article ,
    > Barry Margolin wrote:
    >>In article ,
    >> Jerry Fleming wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Sorry if I come to the wrong place. I am confused by the file
    >>> permissions on my ubuntu (feisty) desktop. I created a folder and chmod
    >>> 0755. But in nautilus (version 2.18.1), the permission is displayed as
    >>> 1600755. What does 160 mean?

    >>I suspect nautilus is displaying the entire file mode attribute, not
    >>just the permissions, which includes the type field that specifies that
    >>it's a directory special file.

    > But on Linux, S_IFDIR is 040000, not 01600000; there doesn't seem to be
    > any
    > file type that is 01600000.

    Could be S_IFREG|S_IFBLK, doesn'tmake much sense though. hmm, how about
    S_IFLNK|S_IFDIR then?

    Bye, Jojo

+ Reply to Thread