Broadcast packets in C - Unix

This is a discussion on Broadcast packets in C - Unix ; Hello there, I'm trying to build a program in C which uses broadcast HELLO packets, multicast RREQ, RREP, RERR packets and routing tables exchange.I want to keep it as simple as possible. I know how to send broadcast simple Hello ...

  1. Broadcast packets in C

    Hello there,
    I'm trying to build a program in C which uses broadcast HELLO packets,
    multicast RREQ, RREP, RERR packets and routing tables exchange.I want
    to keep it as simple as possible.
    I know how to send broadcast simple Hello using UDP socket function,
    but I can't make from the beginning the HELLO routing tables etc
    packets and broadcasts them or receive them separately from the known
    socket and listen functions, and using them i cant understand how can
    I use the arguments of the functions.
    Can anyone please give me some directions what should i do? because
    I'm trying a lot here and there are not efficient examples in the net.
    Thanx

  2. Re: Broadcast packets in C

    In article <1180914658.694395.174640@k79g2000hse.googlegroups. com>,
    killua wrote:

    > Hello there,
    > I'm trying to build a program in C which uses broadcast HELLO packets,
    > multicast RREQ, RREP, RERR packets and routing tables exchange.I want
    > to keep it as simple as possible.
    > I know how to send broadcast simple Hello using UDP socket function,
    > but I can't make from the beginning the HELLO routing tables etc
    > packets and broadcasts them or receive them separately from the known
    > socket and listen functions, and using them i cant understand how can
    > I use the arguments of the functions.
    > Can anyone please give me some directions what should i do? because
    > I'm trying a lot here and there are not efficient examples in the net.
    > Thanx

    Get the book "Unix Network Programming, Vol.1" by W. Richard Stevens.
    it's the bible of network programming using sockets.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA