Seed7 Release 2007-04-19 - Unix

This is a discussion on Seed7 Release 2007-04-19 - Unix ; Hello, I have released a new version of Seed7: seed7_05_20070419.tgz In the Seed7 programming language new statements and operators can be declared easily. Types are first class objects and therefore templates/generics need no special syntax. Object orientation is used when ...

  1. Seed7 Release 2007-04-19

    Hello,

    I have released a new version of Seed7: seed7_05_20070419.tgz

    In the Seed7 programming language new statements and operators
    can be declared easily. Types are first class objects and therefore
    templates/generics need no special syntax. Object orientation is
    used when it brings advantages and not in places when other
    solutions are more obvious.

    Seed7 is covered by the GPL (and LGPL for the Seed7 runtime library).

    Changelog:
    - The compiler support for result variables, which are initialized
    with expressions, was improved.
    - The bas (basic interpreter) example program was improved.
    - The bigrat.s7i, rational.s7i librarys were improved.
    - Some multiplication testcases were added to the chkbig.sd7 example
    program.
    - The compiler was changed to mark its temporary *.c files with a
    temp_marker.
    - Several performance improvements for uBigMultSub, uBigAddTo,
    uBigDiv, uBigMult, uBigMultIntoHelp, bigGrow, bigMult and bigShrink
    were done.

    Greetings Thomas Mertes

    Project page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/seed7

  2. Re: Seed7 Release 2007-04-19

    I would like to get it more clear by
    moving .\seed7\prg\*.sd7 to .\seed7\prg
    moving .\seed7\prg\*.s7i to .\seed7\include\*.s7i (or to .\seed7\lib
    \*.s7i)

  3. Re: Seed7 Release 2007-04-19

    By the way, is there any projects in Seed7 on the internet? thax

  4. Re: Seed7 Release 2007-04-19

    On 22 Apr., 09:14, Oyster wrote:
    > I would like to get it more clear by
    > moving .\seed7\prg\*.sd7 to .\seed7\prg
    > moving .\seed7\prg\*.s7i to .\seed7\include\*.s7i (or to .\seed7\lib
    > \*.s7i)

    Moving the *.s7i files to ./seed7/lib would be a good idea.
    But it is necessary to have a built in search path in
    the interpreter to support it. The path to the ./seed7/lib
    directory could be defined in ./seed7/src/version.h (which
    is created by the makefile). In general the following things
    should be possible:

    1. Try out Seed7:
    Untar seed7*.tgz and compile the interpreter in ./seed7/src .
    Start example programs in ./seed7/prg without setting any
    environment variable or changing the search path.
    This is possible now. With a hardcoded SEED7_LIB_PATH
    in the interpreter this would work also when the *.s7i
    files are in a ./seed7/lib directory.

    2. Make local installation:
    A local installation should allow you to put seed7 programs
    in any directory and start the hi interpreter to execute them.
    In this case the hi interpreter must be in the search path.
    The hardcoded SEED7_LIB_PATH in the interpreter would
    help to find the include files.
    Other users could use your installation of seed7 also
    (when the access rights and the search path are ok).

    3. Install seed7 on the machine:
    Seed7 could be installed in /usr/local/seed7
    (or C:\Program Files\seed7 under windows).
    The interpreter could be in ./seed7/bin.
    A link to the interpreter could be in /bin or /usr/bin.
    The hardcoded SEED7_LIB_PATH in the interpreter
    would be: ".:/usr/local/seed7/lib".

    4. Binary installations of seed7:
    They would work like 3. from above.
    The environment variable SEED7_LIB_PATH could
    be used to override the hardcoded library search
    path of the hi interpreter.

    Greetings Thomas Mertes

    Project page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/seed7

  5. Re: Seed7 Release 2007-04-19

    On 22 Apr., 09:14, Oyster wrote:
    > I would like to get it more clear by
    > moving .\seed7\prg\*.sd7 to .\seed7\prg
    > moving .\seed7\prg\*.s7i to .\seed7\include\*.s7i (or to .\seed7\lib
    > \*.s7i)

    My first detailed answer to this topic seems to be lost.
    Therefore I send a short answer.

    Moving the *.s7i files to a ./seed7/lib directory would be a good
    idea. But it is also necessary to have search path for include
    directorys. This SEED7_LIB_PATH would be hardcoded in the
    hi interpreter. It should be possible to override the hardcoded
    search path with the SEED7_LIB_PATH environment variable.
    Generally I see the following scenarios:

    1. Try out Seed7:
    Untar seed7*.tgz and compile the interpreter in the ./seed7/src
    directory. Go to the ./seed7/prg directory and try the various
    example programs. The ./seed7/lib directory is in the
    hardcoded SEED7_LIB_PATH of the hi interpreter and
    therefore the include files are found.

    2. Install Seed7 for one user:
    Put the seed7 directory somewhere in your Home directory.
    The hi interpreter must be in the search path (PATH variable).
    This way it is possible to put Seed7 programs in any
    directory and start them there. This way other users can
    also use the installation.

    3. Install Seed7 on the machine:
    Put the seed7 directory to /usr/local/seed7
    (or C:\Program Files\seed7 on a Windows computer).
    The /bin or /usr/bin directory can contain a link to the
    hi interpreter.

    4. Binary Installation of Seed7:
    Like 3.

    Greetings Thomas Mertes