C++ Code for W. R. Stevens' book "Advanced Programming in the UnixEnvironment"? - Unix

This is a discussion on C++ Code for W. R. Stevens' book "Advanced Programming in the UnixEnvironment"? - Unix ; Hi, all: Does anyone try to do C++ recoding of the original C code of W. R. Stevens' book "Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment", ISBN:0201563177, 1992 ? I got the redhat linux version of C code, works works fine ...

  1. C++ Code for W. R. Stevens' book "Advanced Programming in the UnixEnvironment"?

    Hi, all:

    Does anyone try to do C++ recoding of the original C code of W. R.
    Stevens' book "Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment",
    ISBN:0201563177, 1992 ? I got the redhat linux version of C code, works
    works fine in my knoppix linux2.4.6 (installed).

    I am trying to pack the C code into C++, following the C++ guideline
    1. using C++ namespace to get rid of static global functions,
    2. using C++ namespace to get rid of #define constants,
    3. using C++ class to pack functions for data members, such as file,
    proc, signal, ..., etc.

    Currently my system specification:
    1. CPU 2GH 686 intel, 256MB memory, DVD, USB, etc.
    2. WindowsXP, qemu + knoppix(iso)

    Current Status:
    1. knoppix linux 2.4.6 running in qemu window under windowsXP,
    2. able to access floppy, NTSF windowXP C:hard drive (ReadOnly), and
    ext3 qemu hard drive image(ReadWrite),
    3. re-compiled original redhat C code successfully,
    4. recode original ourhdr.h to a namespace-oriented ourhdr.h,
    5. compiled code using g++ with namespace-oriented ourhdr.h successfully,

    Work to do:
    1. write useful C++ classes "Type" (e.g. fileType) to categorize and
    pack functions and data,
    2. re-write all C code to C++ code.

    Anyone interested on this? let me know. The reason to re-invent the
    wheel is to help current C++ programmers to get into unix/linux
    programming. The original C code is messy (my opinion only). Mr.
    Stevens passed away long ago, now is the time to move forward to C++
    with his good book.

    Dr. Boris Chang

  2. Re: C++ Code for W. R. Stevens' book "Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment"?

    tao3256 writes:

    [...]

    > Anyone interested on this? let me know. The reason to re-invent the
    > wheel is to help current C++ programmers to get into unix/linux
    > programming. The original C code is messy (my opinion
    > only).

    It is a simplified version of 'usual' C-for-UNIX. That's one of the
    things people are supposed to learn from this book. TNTWIWHDI isn't
    the most sensible reaction to that.

+ Reply to Thread