link problem on AIX - Unix

This is a discussion on link problem on AIX - Unix ; while compiling the program against my library on AIX 5.3, i got this, not able to understand what it means ? and what i am trying to do wrong. how to cope up with this (and why it is giving ...

  1. link problem on AIX

    while compiling the program against my library on AIX 5.3, i got this,
    not able to understand what it means ? and what i am trying to do
    wrong.

    how to cope up with this (and why it is giving the error ?)

    gcc -Wall main.c -o bin_name -L/libpath/ -lMy_static_lib

    ld: 0711-203 SEVERE ERROR: Archive file PATH/libMy_static_lib.a cannot
    be processed.
    The length of the archive member table (0) is less than 20
    or is not consistent with the length of the archive.
    collect2: ld returned 12 exit status

    --Raxit

  2. Re: link problem on AIX

    Sheth Raxit wrote:

    > gcc -Wall main.c -o bin_name -L/libpath/ -lMy_static_lib
    >
    > ld: 0711-203 SEVERE ERROR: Archive file PATH/libMy_static_lib.a cannot
    > be processed.
    > The length of the archive member table (0) is less than 20
    > or is not consistent with the length of the archive.
    > collect2: ld returned 12 exit status
    > make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.

    A) A tool complains about a file, which leads to the logical next step:
    B) Go examine/investigate the file.

    What _do_ they teach in schools these days?

    Or put another way:
    It likely means the archive (libMy_static_lib.a) is corrupt.
    Reconstruct the archive using the ar command. If ar doesn't like
    it you'll need to start from scratch with the archive members.

  3. Re: link problem on AIX

    "Gary R. Hook" wrote:
    > [snip]
    > What _do_ they teach in schools these days?

    WhineBloze.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems