Wildcards with Unix - Unix

This is a discussion on Wildcards with Unix - Unix ; Hey Guys, I'm very new to Unix, but I can't seem to get wildcards for directories working properly. I'm trying to dynamically cat files together in various directories and the wildcards work for the file names but not for the ...

  1. Wildcards with Unix

    Hey Guys,

    I'm very new to Unix, but I can't seem to get wildcards for
    directories working properly. I'm trying to dynamically cat files
    together in various directories and the wildcards work for the file
    names but not for the directories? Any ideas?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Wildcards with Unix

    * ajeevanathan@gmail.com [2007.04.12 18:26]:
    > I'm very new to Unix,

    Welcome.

    > but I can't seem to get wildcards for
    > directories working properly.

    You mean in a shell? If so then perhaps comp.unix.shell
    would be more suitable for your question.

    > I'm trying to dynamically cat files together in various
    > directories and the wildcards work for the file names but
    > not for the directories?

    I'm really not sure what that mean. I suspect we have a
    terminology problem. Can you illustrate?

    --
    JR

  3. Re: Wildcards with Unix

    On 4月13日, 上午2时26分, ajeevanat...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hey Guys,
    >
    > I'm very new to Unix, but I can't seem to get wildcards for
    > directories working properly. I'm trying to dynamically cat files
    > together in various directories and the wildcards work for the file
    > names but not for the directories? Any ideas?

    You can't cat directory.

  4. Re: Wildcards with Unix

    On Apr 12, 11:26 am, ajeevanat...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hey Guys,
    >
    > I'm very new to Unix, but I can't seem to get wildcards for
    > directories working properly. I'm trying to dynamically cat files
    > together in various directories and the wildcards work for the file
    > names but not for the directories? Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks!

    You need to learn how to ask questions. Nobody reading this has any
    clue what you're actually doing. Are you writing a program? commanding
    a shell? If a program, what does your code look like? If a shell,
    which shell? What commands are you pasing to it? What's actually going
    wrong?

    I know it's obvious to you what you're doing, what you expect, and
    what output you're getting. But it's not obvious to anyone else.

    DS

+ Reply to Thread