termios attributes reset on close()? - Unix

This is a discussion on termios attributes reset on close()? - Unix ; after open(), tcsetattr() and close(), are terminal attributes reset for the next open()? can anyone point to where this is documented? thanks -frank...

  1. termios attributes reset on close()?

    after open(), tcsetattr() and close(), are terminal attributes reset for
    the next open()? can anyone point to where this is documented?

    thanks
    -frank

  2. Re: termios attributes reset on close()?

    Frank Cusack wrote:
    > after open(), tcsetattr() and close(), are terminal attributes reset for
    > the next open()? can anyone point to where this is documented?

    No, the attributes aren't "reset" to anything, they remain in the
    state they were in at the close() call. I don't think it's docu-
    mented but that would be redundant since there's also no documen-
    tation about a "default" state - and without a default state there
    is nothing they could be reset to (it would hardly make sense to
    reset them to a certain state when that state isn't documented
    and can vary from system to system).

    Regards, Jens

  3. Re: termios attributes reset on close()?

    Frank Cusack wrote, on Wed, 11 Apr 2007:

    > after open(), tcsetattr() and close(), are terminal attributes reset for
    > the next open()?

    Some systems reset them, some don't. From memory, I think System V and
    its derivatives reset the attributes, and Linux doesn't. Not sure
    about the BSDs.

    --
    Geoff Clare

  4. Re: termios attributes reset on close()?

    On 4月12日, 上午11时40分, Frank Cusack wrote:
    > after open(), tcsetattr() and close(), are terminal attributes reset for
    > the next open()? can anyone point to where this is documented?

    IIRC, the temios can altered by tty driver whenever it want to. So
    you'd better not rely on them.

+ Reply to Thread