Call for paper: regular expression compiler - Unix

This is a discussion on Call for paper: regular expression compiler - Unix ; Hi, The regcomp()(man regcomp) will compile the regular expression to a form that can be used later by regexec(), but what is the result of the compiled regular expression? I think there is some papers describing this well already, but ...

  1. Call for paper: regular expression compiler

    Hi,

    The regcomp()(man regcomp) will compile the regular expression to a
    form that can be used later by regexec(), but what is the result of
    the compiled regular expression? I think there is some papers
    describing this well already, but I can't google it.

    Your information about how to find such papers is very appreciated!

    Thanks.
    Bin Chen

  2. Re: Call for paper: regular expression compiler

    Bin Chen wrote:

    > The regcomp()(man regcomp) will compile the regular expression to a
    > form that can be used later by regexec(), but what is the result of
    > the compiled regular expression? I think there is some papers
    > describing this well already, but I can't google it.

    A state machine (automata) of some kind. See for example:

    http://swtch.com/~rsc/regexp/regexp1.html

    --
    mail1dotstofanetdotdk

+ Reply to Thread