Is "A/A USB Direct Cable Connection driver" possible? - Unix

This is a discussion on Is "A/A USB Direct Cable Connection driver" possible? - Unix ; Hi, I've been asked to implement a driver for a Linux machine which will enable it to use A/A USB cable and directly connect to another Linux box. As far as I could search about, I found that this is ...

  1. Is "A/A USB Direct Cable Connection driver" possible?

    Hi, I've been asked to implement a driver for a Linux machine which
    will enable it to use A/A USB cable and directly connect to another
    Linux box. As far as I could search about, I found that this is almost
    not doable, and the minimum peripheral needed is a Bridged USB cable
    which is actually same as the A/A USB cable with a bridge at the
    middle of the cable which its job is to manipulate the electricity
    flow from USB Host Controllers to each other and hence enable them to
    talk to each other, even someone mentioned that simply connecting two
    machines using a A/A USB cable will burn the host controller.
    now my question is that is it even possible to completely control the
    USB host controller, so that one can implement such a driver?
    Note: The driver is supposed to act as a network interface to the
    other machine, hence a cluster of four PCs connecting through A/A USB
    cables *only*.
    I appreciate any help or pointer to source of help.

  2. Re: Is "A/A USB Direct Cable Connection driver" possible?

    On Apr 6, 9:04 pm, "Peyman" wrote:

    > Hi, I've been asked to implement a driver for a Linux machine which
    > will enable it to use A/A USB cable and directly connect to another
    > Linux box.

    This is only possible if one of the ports is a device port. If they
    are both host ports, this is impossible.

    > As far as I could search about, I found that this is almost
    > not doable, and the minimum peripheral needed is a Bridged USB cable
    > which is actually same as the A/A USB cable with a bridge at the
    > middle of the cable which its job is to manipulate the electricity
    > flow from USB Host Controllers to each other and hence enable them to
    > talk to each other, even someone mentioned that simply connecting two
    > machines using a A/A USB cable will burn the host controller.

    Right, this is simply not legal. You cannot connect a host port to a
    host port. The USB protocol defines host ports and device ports, and a
    host port can only be connected to a device port. Even a hub has a
    single device port that the host connects to and multiple host ports
    that devices plug into.

    > now my question is that is it even possible to completely control the
    > USB host controller, so that one can implement such a driver?
    > Note: The driver is supposed to act as a network interface to the
    > other machine, hence a cluster of four PCs connecting through A/A USB
    > cables *only*.
    > I appreciate any help or pointer to source of help.

    No, you need a USB device controller. A USB host controller won't do
    you any good at all. I do not know of any standard USB chipsets that
    offer device capability.

    Linux has device USB drivers so that portable devices (like MP3
    players) can run Linux and connect to a USB host. However this
    requires a USB device controller, which PCs do not have.

    Your choices are:

    1) Get the PC a USB device controller.

    2) Use a bridge chip.

    USB is not Ethernet.

    DS

  3. Re: Is "A/A USB Direct Cable Connection driver" possible?

    On Apr 9, 7:24 am, "David Schwartz" wrote:
    > On Apr 6, 9:04 pm, "Peyman" wrote:
    > DS

    Thank you so much.

+ Reply to Thread