Graphic dev with C - Unix

This is a discussion on Graphic dev with C - Unix ; Hello, i'd like to learn the graphic development under BSD, particulary freeBSD, with the C language. I know X11 is the standart window manager, so I suppose there's some API to use it with C right? I'm looking on google ...

  1. Graphic dev with C

    Hello,
    i'd like to learn the graphic development under BSD, particulary
    freeBSD, with the C language.
    I know X11 is the standart window manager, so I suppose there's some
    API to use it with C right?
    I'm looking on google but can't find some tutorial, infos, etc. about
    "how to create a simple window", I'm pretty good with C under windows
    but still a newbie in Unix programing, so could you explain me if
    there are some dependencies to download to make such a program? I just
    have the standart X11 installed (basic CD installation) and I suppose
    it's not enough to develop my own tools...
    thanks for helping!

  2. Re: Graphic dev with C

    On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 12:48:17 -0700, m.impini wrote:
    > i'd like to learn the graphic development under BSD, particulary
    > freeBSD, with the C language.

    Excellent.

    > I know X11 is the standart window manager, so I suppose there's some
    > API to use it with C right?

    Slightly incorrect. X11 is the standard graphics/windowing system -
    another program runs as your window manager to place/manipulate windows,
    and there is no standard one. Some use KDE's KWin, some GNOME's Metacity,
    others blackbox, icewm, mwm, take your pick...

    > I'm looking on google but can't find some tutorial, infos, etc. about
    > "how to create a simple window", I'm pretty good with C under windows
    > but still a newbie in Unix programing, so could you explain me if
    > there are some dependencies to download to make such a program? I just
    > have the standart X11 installed (basic CD installation) and I suppose
    > it's not enough to develop my own tools...

    You can program X11 directly, but that's probably the hard way.
    There exist a number of toolkits to ease graphics programming on X11. If
    you're in C, GTK+ (http://www.gtk.org) is probably your best bet. GTK+
    has an excellent tutorial and rather good reference documentation. Other
    options include Motif and Xaw.

    - Michael

  3. Re: Graphic dev with C

    m.impini@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    > i'd like to learn the graphic development under BSD, particulary
    > freeBSD, with the C language.
    > I know X11 is the standart window manager, so I suppose there's some
    > API to use it with C right?

    I don't know whether or not GTK is used on BSD, but the "GTK Hello World"
    tutorial worked for me, but I use GNU/Linux.

    There is an X11/Xlib tutorial, which does the same thing, but interfaces to
    the X library directly without the toolkit. This may be what you want, but I
    have not yet tried this here.

    Google "X11 hello world" or "GTK hello world" and hit "I'm Feeling Lucky".

    Google is your friend.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  4. Re: Graphic dev with C

    On Apr 3, 12:48 am, m.imp...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    > i'd like to learn the graphic development under BSD, particulary
    > freeBSD, with the C language.
    > I know X11 is the standart window manager, so I suppose there's some
    > API to use it with C right?
    > I'm looking on google but can't find some tutorial, infos, etc. about
    > "how to create a simple window", I'm pretty good with C under windows
    > but still a newbie in Unix programing, so could you explain me if
    > there are some dependencies to download to make such a program? I just
    > have the standart X11 installed (basic CD installation) and I suppose
    > it's not enough to develop my own tools...
    > thanks for helping!

    X11 is bit hard, as far as programming is concerned. You can think of
    using Motif (Xm) which is built on X11 and Xt. Xm has almost all basic
    widgets, what Windows can offer.

    Cheers
    -Vallabha
    S7 Software Solutions
    http://www.s7solutions.com/

  5. Re: Graphic dev with C

    "Vallabha" wrote in message
    news:1175581766.349217.64870@p77g2000hsh.googlegro ups.com...
    > On Apr 3, 12:48 am, m.imp...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >> i'd like to learn the graphic development under BSD, particulary
    >> freeBSD, with the C language.
    >> I know X11 is the standart window manager, so I suppose there's some
    >> API to use it with C right?
    >> I'm looking on google but can't find some tutorial, infos, etc. about
    >> "how to create a simple window", I'm pretty good with C under windows
    >> but still a newbie in Unix programing, so could you explain me if
    >> there are some dependencies to download to make such a program? I just
    >> have the standart X11 installed (basic CD installation) and I suppose
    >> it's not enough to develop my own tools...
    >> thanks for helping!

    > X11 is bit hard, as far as programming is concerned. You can think of
    > using Motif (Xm) which is built on X11 and Xt. Xm has almost all basic
    > widgets, what Windows can offer.
    >
    > Cheers
    > -Vallabha
    > S7 Software Solutions
    > http://www.s7solutions.com/

    This is the first time I have looked at this newsgroup. Did Motif suddenly
    become free? I know that they lost record of my license do to their lack of
    responsibility.

  6. Re: Graphic dev with C

    Barry wrote:
    > This is the first time I have looked at this newsgroup. Did Motif suddenly
    > become free? I know that they lost record of my license do to their lack of
    > responsibility.

    There is a free clone called "lesstif": http://www.lesstif.org/

    I have no first hand experience, but I know at least the "ddd" debugger
    (http://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/) works with it.

    Eric

  7. Re: Graphic dev with C

    http://www.openmotif.org/