linux async sockets - Unix

This is a discussion on linux async sockets - Unix ; How portable are they? Cygwin, BSD?...

  1. linux async sockets

    How portable are they? Cygwin, BSD?

  2. Re: linux async sockets

    On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 01:33:03 +0100 John Doe wrote:
    > How portable are they? Cygwin, BSD?

    WHAT are they?

  3. Re: linux async sockets

    Frank Cusack wrote:
    > On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 01:33:03 +0100 John Doe wrote:
    >> How portable are they? Cygwin, BSD?

    > WHAT are they?

    I'm guessing they're this:

    http://aem.sourceforge.net/aemip.html

    What I can't figure out is why, according to this documentation, there doesn't
    seem to be any support for writing to a socket. Sure, you can write in
    response to a read, but sooner or later, you're going to write more than
    the kernel can buffer and your write() will block, or even with non-blocking
    mode, you're going to make no progress and have to guess when to try again.
    It would be nice to have an event that says "now would be a good time to try
    writing again". Of course, maybe I'm missing something and there's a
    programming technique that makes this unnecessary.

    As for portability, I'm guessing this is extermely UNportable. It doesn't
    even seem to run on stock versions of Linux; you have to add some extra
    kernel support.

    - Logan

  4. Re: linux async sockets

    How about signal-driven sockets with O_ASYNC flag set?

+ Reply to Thread