debugging - Unix

This is a discussion on debugging - Unix ; I want to debug a web request which calls a c++ executable built using AIX/UNIX. I am having IBM AIX Server. How to start this ? Thanks & Regards JK...

  1. debugging

    I want to debug a web request which calls a c++ executable built
    using
    AIX/UNIX. I am having IBM AIX Server. How to start this ?

    Thanks & Regards
    JK

  2. Re: debugging

    gopal wrote:
    > I want to debug a web request which calls a c++ executable built
    > using
    > AIX/UNIX. I am having IBM AIX Server. How to start this ?

    What does "debug a web request" mean? Or do you have to debug
    the the program written in C++ that gets invoked as a result of
    the "web request"? In the later case what makes that different
    from debugging any other program (except that you may have to
    set up a few environment variables)?

    Regards, Jens

  3. Re: debugging

    On Mar 21, 8:27 am, "gopal" wrote:
    > I want to debug a web request which calls a c++ executable built
    > using
    > AIX/UNIX. I am having IBM AIX Server. How to start this ?

    If I understand what you're asking, the best way is probably to create
    a test harness that can launch the C++ executable the same way the web
    server does (path, permissions, environment, and so on) but under a
    debugger.

    DS

  4. Re: debugging

    On Mar 22, 12:54 am, "David Schwartz" wrote:
    > On Mar 21, 8:27 am, "gopal" wrote:
    >
    > > I want to debug a web request which calls a c++ executable built
    > > using
    > > AIX/UNIX. I am having IBM AIX Server. How to start this ?

    > If I understand what you're asking, the best way is probably to create
    > a test harness that can launch the C++ executable the same way the web
    > server does (path, permissions, environment, and so on) but under a
    > debugger.
    >
    > DS

    Hi All,
    Thanks for the response.

    I will explain you, it is something like this.

    GUI - Web Server requests
    Middleware - c++ executables
    backend - D/B respository

    so when the web reqeust is give, say want to view then the request
    hits the c++ exes, created in unix~ AIX 5.1 and the request is
    processed, sent to D/B.

    Response is again processed by c++ exes in AIX 5.1 and send to web
    page as output.

    Now how to launch the same under debugger. I am going through the
    documentation fo adb debugger, i am unable to move further.

    I also wanted to know if we have to use any visual age c++ debugger or
    xlC compiler.

    please do help.

    Thanks & Regards
    JK

  5. Re: debugging

    gopal wrote:
    > On Mar 22, 12:54 am, "David Schwartz" wrote:
    >
    >>On Mar 21, 8:27 am, "gopal" wrote:
    >>

    >>>I want to debug a web request which calls a c++ executable built
    >>>using
    >>>AIX/UNIX. I am having IBM AIX Server. How to start this ?

    >>If I understand what you're asking, the best way is probably to create
    >>a test harness that can launch the C++ executable the same way the web
    >>server does (path, permissions, environment, and so on) but under a
    >>debugger.
    >>
    >>DS

    > Hi All,
    > Thanks for the response.
    >
    > I will explain you, it is something like this.
    >
    > GUI - Web Server requests
    > Middleware - c++ executables
    > backend - D/B respository

    Co you have a C++ CGI program. Just wrap it in a shell that sets up the
    CGI environment variables and call it. I assume you have some unit
    tests for the code? If not, why not?

    --
    Ian Collins.

+ Reply to Thread