crontab -e doesnt work - Unix

This is a discussion on crontab -e doesnt work - Unix ; Hi, I have been using crontab for a while now... but needed edit the existing job in cron... However heres the issue.. If I issue crontab -e, the temp file which allows the input doesnt seem to be opening. Though ...

  1. crontab -e doesnt work

    Hi,

    I have been using crontab for a while now... but needed edit the
    existing job in cron...
    However heres the issue..
    If I issue crontab -e, the temp file which allows the input doesnt
    seem to be opening. Though crontab -l indicates the current job; the
    -
    e option doesnt open the file

    crontab -l
    00 20 * * * /auto/tftpboot-users/mshirali/MDDTS/query1.mshirali

    However now crontab -e wont let me do any editing.. I see the
    following when I issue it:
    crontab -e
    65

    ?

    ?

    Any help will be appreciated

  2. Re: crontab -e doesnt work

    mihirshirali@gmail.com writes:

    > However now crontab -e wont let me do any editing..

    It does let you do editing, you just don't realize that.

    > I see the following when I issue it:
    > crontab -e
    > 65
    >

    > ?

    Try "man ed".

    > Any help will be appreciated

    Since it's unlikely that you'll want to learn 'ed', solution is to

    export VISUAL=vi

    Cheers,
    Remove /-nsp/ for email.

  3. Re: crontab -e doesnt work

    On Mar 21, 11:23 am, Paul Pluzhnikov
    wrote:
    > mihirshir...@gmail.com writes:
    > > However now crontab -e wont let me do any editing..

    > It does let you do editing, you just don't realize that.
    >
    > > I see the following when I issue it:
    > > crontab -e
    > > 65

    > > ?

    > Try "man ed".
    >
    > > Any help will be appreciated

    > Since it's unlikely that you'll want to learn 'ed', solution is to
    >
    > export VISUAL=vi
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > In order to understand recursion you must first understand recursion.
    > Remove /-nsp/ for email.

    Hi Paul,

    This doesnt seem to be working.. I tried both the options. Since
    crontab -l already lists my older job, when I issue a crontab -e
    shouldn 't I be able to view the older job.
    I tried using esport VISUAL vi too... just doesn't seem to work ;(
    Am I missing something ?

    -Mihir

  4. Re: crontab -e doesnt work

    On Mar 21, 12:07 pm, mihirshir...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Mar 21, 11:23 am, Paul Pluzhnikov
    > wrote:
    >

    > > mihirshir...@gmail.com writes:
    > > > However now crontab -e wont let me do any editing..

    > > It does let you do editing, you just don't realize that.

    > > > I see the following when I issue it:
    > > > crontab -e
    > > > 65

    > > > ?

    > > Try "man ed".

    > > > Any help will be appreciated

    > > Since it's unlikely that you'll want to learn 'ed', solution is to

    > > export VISUAL=vi

    > > Cheers,
    > > --
    > > In order to understand recursion you must first understand recursion.
    > > Remove /-nsp/ for email.

    > Hi Paul,
    >
    > This doesnt seem to be working.. I tried both the options. Since
    > crontab -l already lists my older job, when I issue a crontab -e
    > shouldn 't I be able to view the older job.
    > I tried using esport VISUAL vi too... just doesn't seem to work ;(
    > Am I missing something ?
    >
    > -Mihir- Hide quoted text -

    I checked export VALUE=vi on linux based machine and it woeks fine.
    However I was wondering how we will do the same in case of Solaris
    machine as it doesnt help here.. and I need it to work there

  5. Re: crontab -e doesnt work

    mihirshirali@gmail.com writes:

    > On Mar 21, 11:23 am, Paul Pluzhnikov
    > wrote:
    > > mihirshir...@gmail.com writes:
    > > > However now crontab -e wont let me do any editing..

    > > It does let you do editing, you just don't realize that.
    > >
    > > > I see the following when I issue it:
    > > > crontab -e
    > > > 65

    > > > ?

    > > Try "man ed".
    > >
    > > > Any help will be appreciated

    > > Since it's unlikely that you'll want to learn 'ed', solution is to
    > >
    > > export VISUAL=vi
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > --
    > > In order to understand recursion you must first understand recursion.
    > > Remove /-nsp/ for email.

    > Hi Paul,

    > This doesnt seem to be working.. I tried both the options. Since
    > crontab -l already lists my older job, when I issue a crontab -e
    > shouldn 't I be able to view the older job.
    > I tried using esport VISUAL vi too... just doesn't seem to work ;(
    > Am I missing something ?

    > -Mihir

    try export EDITOR=vi
    --
    Fußgänger sind wie das ideale Gas: Sie nehmen jeden zu Vergügung gestellten
    Verkehrsraum vollständig ein, notfalls durch intensives Torkeln.

  6. Re: crontab -e doesnt work

    On Mar 21, 2:00 pm, h...@use-reply-to.invalid (Horst Scheuermann)
    wrote:
    > mihirshir...@gmail.com writes:
    > > On Mar 21, 11:23 am, Paul Pluzhnikov
    > > wrote:

    > > > It does let you do editing, you just don't realize that.

    > > > Try "man ed".

    > > > Since it's unlikely that you'll want to learn 'ed', solution is to

    > > > export VISUAL=vi

    > > > Cheers,
    > > > --
    > > > In order to understand recursion you must first understand recursion.
    > > > Remove /-nsp/ for email.

    > > Hi Paul,
    > > This doesnt seem to be working.. I tried both the options. Since
    > > crontab -l already lists my older job, when I issue a crontab -e
    > > shouldn 't I be able to view the older job.
    > > I tried using esport VISUAL vi too... just doesn't seem to work ;(
    > > Am I missing something ?
    > > -Mihir

    > try export EDITOR=vi
    > --
    > Fußgänger sind wie das ideale Gas: Sie nehmen jeden zu Vergügung gestellten
    > Verkehrsraum vollständig ein, notfalls durch intensives Torkeln.- Hide quoted text -

    Hi Horst,

    No luck with EDITOR=vi too

    $ export EDITOR=vi
    EDITOR=vi: is not an identifier

    Tried using "export EDITOR vi" too...
    Though the command is accepted.. I see the same issue

  7. Re: crontab -e doesnt work

    On Mar 21, 5:55 am, mihirshir...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Mar 21, 2:00 pm, h...@use-reply-to.invalid (Horst Scheuermann)
    > wrote:
    >

    > > mihirshir...@gmail.com writes:

    > > > Hi Paul,
    > > > This doesnt seem to be working.. I tried both the options. Since
    > > > crontab -l already lists my older job, when I issue a crontab -e
    > > > shouldn 't I be able to view the older job.
    > > > I tried using esport VISUAL vi too... just doesn't seem to work ;(
    > > > Am I missing something ?
    > > > -Mihir

    > > try export EDITOR=vi
    > > --
    > > Fußgänger sind wie das ideale Gas: Sie nehmen jeden zu Vergügung gestellten
    > > Verkehrsraum vollständig ein, notfalls durch intensives Torkeln.- Hide quoted text -

    > Hi Horst,
    >
    > No luck with EDITOR=vi too
    >
    > $ export EDITOR=vi
    > EDITOR=vi: is not an identifier
    >
    > Tried using "export EDITOR vi" too...
    > Though the command is accepted.. I see the same issue

    Maybe one of the following?
    prompt$ EDITOR=/usr/bin/vi crontab -e
    prompt$ EDITOR=`which vi` crontab -e

  8. Re: crontab -e doesnt work

    On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 03:57:02 -0700, shakahshakah@gmail.com wrote:

    >> $ export EDITOR=vi

    That's a feature bash borrowed from ksh

    >> EDITOR=vi: is not an identifier
    >>
    >> Tried using "export EDITOR vi" too...
    >> Though the command is accepted.. I see the same issue

    > Maybe one of the following?
    > prompt$ EDITOR=/usr/bin/vi crontab -e
    > prompt$ EDITOR=`which vi` crontab -e

    EDITOR=/usr/bin/vi;export EDITOR

    HTH,
    AvK

  9. Re: crontab -e doesnt work

    mihirshirali@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Mar 21, 2:00 pm, h...@use-reply-to.invalid (Horst Scheuermann)
    > wrote:
    >> mihirshir...@gmail.com writes:
    >>> Hi Paul,
    >>> This doesnt seem to be working.. I tried both the options. Since
    >>> crontab -l already lists my older job, when I issue a crontab -e
    >>> shouldn 't I be able to view the older job.
    >>> I tried using esport VISUAL vi too... just doesn't seem to work ;(
    >>> Am I missing something ?
    >>> -Mihir

    >> try export EDITOR=vi
    >> --
    >> Fußgänger sind wie das ideale Gas: Sie nehmen jeden zu Vergügung gestellten
    >> Verkehrsraum vollständig ein, notfalls durch intensives Torkeln.- Hide quoted text -

    > Hi Horst,
    >
    > No luck with EDITOR=vi too
    >
    > $ export EDITOR=vi
    > EDITOR=vi: is not an identifier
    >
    > Tried using "export EDITOR vi" too...
    > Though the command is accepted.. I see the same issue

    export VARIABLE=value is korn shell (/bin/ksh) syntax.
    root user has bourne shell per default (/bin/sh).
    So you must do this in two steps. This works for both.
    1. VARIABLE=value
    2. export VARIABLE

  10. Re: crontab -e doesnt work

    On Mar 22, 1:01 am, Frank Langelage wrote:
    > mihirshir...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > On Mar 21, 2:00 pm, h...@use-reply-to.invalid (Horst Scheuermann)
    > > wrote:
    > >> try export EDITOR=vi
    > >> --
    > >> Fußgänger sind wie das ideale Gas: Sie nehmen jeden zu Vergügunggestellten
    > >> Verkehrsraum vollständig ein, notfalls durch intensives Torkeln.- Hide quoted text -

    > > Hi Horst,

    > > No luck with EDITOR=vi too
    > >
    > > $ export EDITOR=vi
    > > EDITOR=vi: is not an identifier

    > > Tried using "export EDITOR vi" too...
    > > Though the command is accepted.. I see the same issue

    > export VARIABLE=value is korn shell (/bin/ksh) syntax.
    > root user has bourne shell per default (/bin/sh).
    > So you must do this in two steps. This works for both.
    > 1. VARIABLE=value
    > 2. export VARIABLE- Hide quoted text -

    Hi All,

    Thanks for all the inputs and pointers.. Its working fine now..
    Guess.. it had to be done in two steps

    -Mihir

  11. Re: crontab -e doesnt work

    mihirshirali@gmail.com writes: