Books about computer geeks? - Unix

This is a discussion on Books about computer geeks? - Unix ; Hi. I am a college kid and need some advice. I have an assignment to write about some contemporary culture for an anthropology class. Anyone know of any books about computer geek culture? thanks....

  1. Books about computer geeks?

    Hi.
    I am a college kid and need some advice.
    I have an assignment to write about some contemporary culture for an
    anthropology class.
    Anyone know of any books about computer geek culture?
    thanks.

  2. Re: Books about computer geeks?

    In article <1161040663.061419.212020@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>,
    "rick" wrote:

    > Hi.
    > I am a college kid and need some advice.
    > I have an assignment to write about some contemporary culture for an
    > anthropology class.
    > Anyone know of any books about computer geek culture?
    > thanks.

    "Hackers" is a good one.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: Books about computer geeks?

    rick wrote:

    > I am a college kid and need some advice.
    > I have an assignment to write about some contemporary culture for an
    > anthropology class.
    > Anyone know of any books about computer geek culture?

    I don't know about contemporary, but 'Approaching Zero' is probably
    on your list. "The Hacker's Dictionary" could be also useful. I would
    also read through some earlier releases of BOFH. :-)

  4. Re: Books about computer geeks?

    On 16 Oct 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.unix.misc, in article
    <1161040663.061419.212020@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>, rick wrote:

    http://www.oreilly.com SOME of which are on-line

    The Cathedral & The Bazaar
    Eric S Raymonds
    0-596-00108-8
    Feb 2001, 256 pgs, US$17

    Open Sources: Voices from the Open Source Revolution
    Chris DiBona, Sam Ockman, Mark Stone
    1-56592-582-3
    Jan 1999, 280 pgs, US$25

    The first is a couple of essays, including a lot of the Geek/Hacker culture.
    If you're not familiar with the author, try looking at "The Jargon File"
    which is available at a number of places, such as (www.ccil.org/jargon) or
    (www.catb.org/jargon) or (info.astrian.net/jargon/).

    Old guy

  5. Re: Books about computer geeks?

    rick wrote:
    > Hi.
    > I am a college kid and need some advice.
    > I have an assignment to write about some contemporary culture for an
    > anthropology class.
    > Anyone know of any books about computer geek culture?

    Just finished "Geeks" by Jon Katz, his slightly dated take on what it
    is to be a geek in the US.

    > thanks.

+ Reply to Thread