How to interpret output of unix "time " command - Unix

This is a discussion on How to interpret output of unix "time " command - Unix ; Hi I am trying to use the unix "time" command to understand how much CPU time, clock time my jobs are taking. unfortunately the man page for the "time" command for this is a bit terse. the output of the ...

  1. How to interpret output of unix "time " command

    Hi I am trying to use the unix "time" command to understand how much
    CPU time, clock
    time my jobs are taking. unfortunately the man page for the "time"
    command for this is a bit terse.
    the output of the time command is as follows:
    "302.746u 26.107s 7:09.39 76.5% 0+0k 0+0io 107pf+0w"
    Could someone explain what all the above numbers mean?
    I am using Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 3
    Thanks

  2. Re: How to interpret output of unix "time " command

    aajkitazakhabar@yahoo.com writes:

    > the output of the time command is as follows:
    > "302.746u 26.107s 7:09.39 76.5% 0+0k 0+0io 107pf+0w"
    > Could someone explain what all the above numbers mean?

    [u]ser time,
    [s]ystem time,
    elapsed time,
    percentage of CPU time = (user time + system time) / elaped time
    input and output operations,
    page faults, and swaps

    urs

+ Reply to Thread