Re: Where is file descriptor value from? other than /etc/system and ulimit - Unix

This is a discussion on Re: Where is file descriptor value from? other than /etc/system and ulimit - Unix ; Casper H.S. Dik wrote: > "Luo, Ming [CAR:5K36:EXCH]" writes: > > >I have Solaris 10 machine that max FD limit shows 1024 every time I log in. > >There are no and value set in /etc/system. So who is setting ...

  1. Re: Where is file descriptor value from? other than /etc/system and ulimit

    Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
    > "Luo, Ming [CAR:5K36:EXCH]" writes:
    >
    > >I have Solaris 10 machine that max FD limit shows 1024 every time I log in.
    > >There are no and value set in /etc/system. So who is setting those value? I
    > >have another machine shows 256 and 65536. I did not use ulimit set the value
    > >manually.

    > ># uname -a
    > >SunOS wcars913 5.10 Generic_118822-25 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4
    > ># ulimit -Hn
    > >1024
    > ># ulimit -Sn
    > >1024

    > They can be set in your . scripts or the system's . scripts.
    >
    > Casper
    > --
    > Expressed in this posting are my opinions. They are in no way related
    > to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems.
    > Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may
    > be fiction rather than truth.

    Casper,

    Which man page has that information?

    Dean

  2. Re: Where is file descriptor value from? other than /etc/system and ulimit

    "slackware guy" writes:

    >Which man page has that information?

    Well, technically "none" because all programs which can influence
    your running shell can be run from the . files and as such anything
    can happen there.

    There are also ways to limit file descriptors through projects
    (of which there are manual pages).

    Casper

  3. Re: Where is file descriptor value from? other than /etc/system and ulimit

    Casper H.S. Dik wrote:

    > "slackware guy" writes:
    >
    >>Which man page has that information?

    > Well, technically "none" because all programs which can influence
    > your running shell can be run from the . files and as such anything
    > can happen there.
    >
    > There are also ways to limit file descriptors through projects
    > (of which there are manual pages).
    >
    > Casper

    Thanks Casper

+ Reply to Thread