Where is file descriptor value from? other than /etc/system and ulimit - Unix

This is a discussion on Where is file descriptor value from? other than /etc/system and ulimit - Unix ; I have Solaris 10 machine that max FD limit shows 1024 every time I log in. There are no and value set in /etc/system. So who is setting those value? I have another machine shows 256 and 65536. I did ...

  1. Where is file descriptor value from? other than /etc/system and ulimit

    I have Solaris 10 machine that max FD limit shows 1024 every time I log in.
    There are no and value set in /etc/system. So who is setting those value? I
    have another machine shows 256 and 65536. I did not use ulimit set the value
    manually.

    # uname -a
    SunOS wcars913 5.10 Generic_118822-25 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4
    # ulimit -Hn
    1024
    # ulimit -Sn
    1024

    Thanks
    Ming

  2. Re: Where is file descriptor value from? other than /etc/system and ulimit

    Luo, Ming [CAR:5K36:EXCH] wrote:
    > I have Solaris 10 machine that max FD limit shows 1024 every time I log in.
    > There are no and value set in /etc/system. So who is setting those value? I
    > have another machine shows 256 and 65536. I did not use ulimit set the value
    > manually.
    >
    > # uname -a
    > SunOS wcars913 5.10 Generic_118822-25 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4
    > # ulimit -Hn
    > 1024
    > # ulimit -Sn
    > 1024
    >

    > Thanks
    > Ming

    The values returned are not kernel releated but functions of the shell.

    >From the man page:

    /usr/bin/ulimit
    The ulimit utility sets or reports the file-size writing
    limit imposed on files written by the shell and its child
    processes (files of any size may be read). Only a process
    with appropriate privileges can increase the limit.

    Dean

  3. Re: Where is file descriptor value from? other than /etc/system and ulimit

    "Luo, Ming [CAR:5K36:EXCH]" writes:

    >I have Solaris 10 machine that max FD limit shows 1024 every time I log in.
    >There are no and value set in /etc/system. So who is setting those value? I
    >have another machine shows 256 and 65536. I did not use ulimit set the value
    >manually.

    ># uname -a
    >SunOS wcars913 5.10 Generic_118822-25 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4
    ># ulimit -Hn
    >1024
    ># ulimit -Sn
    >1024

    They can be set in your . scripts or the system's . scripts.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

+ Reply to Thread