Unix on an old laptop - Unix

This is a discussion on Unix on an old laptop - Unix ; I recently acequired an old laptop. It has 1G of hard drive space and 28M of RAM. Before you ask it was free. Anyway it is equiped with windows 98se. I was wondering if there was anyway that I could ...

  1. Unix on an old laptop

    I recently acequired an old laptop. It has 1G of hard drive space and
    28M of RAM. Before you ask it was free. Anyway it is equiped with
    windows 98se. I was wondering if there was anyway that I could get
    unix onto this laptop. Oh also I should metion that it lacks any usb
    ports and a cd drive. It does have a floppy disk drive so I was hoping
    that there was some type of Unix/Linux that I could get onto there like
    that. Thanks for your time.
    Nori

  2. Re: Unix on an old laptop

    Sure, Minix 2.x (2.0.4 recommended) can be downloaded and put on floppies
    and it would work nicely. No GUI though, but it is pretty good. Also, an
    old version of Linux should work. Look for an old Slackware book with a CD
    and maybe it will have the individual floppy images. (Slackware Linux
    Unleashed is one I have that has these images) There are others, but some
    were limited by hardware or bus type, but most of those were commercial
    versions and wouldn't come free.

    The Grue

    "Nori" wrote in message
    news:1146834043.778300.302440@i40g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
    > I recently acequired an old laptop. It has 1G of hard drive space and
    > 28M of RAM. Before you ask it was free. Anyway it is equiped with
    > windows 98se. I was wondering if there was anyway that I could get
    > unix onto this laptop. Oh also I should metion that it lacks any usb
    > ports and a cd drive. It does have a floppy disk drive so I was hoping
    > that there was some type of Unix/Linux that I could get onto there like
    > that. Thanks for your time.
    > Nori

  3. Re: Unix on an old laptop

    "Nori" writes:

    > I recently acequired an old laptop. It has 1G of hard drive space and
    > 28M of RAM. Before you ask it was free. Anyway it is equiped with
    > windows 98se. I was wondering if there was anyway that I could get
    > unix onto this laptop. Oh also I should metion that it lacks any usb
    > ports and a cd drive. It does have a floppy disk drive so I was hoping
    > that there was some type of Unix/Linux that I could get onto there like
    > that. Thanks for your time.

    You have enough ram to install and old slackware distribution, maybe
    3.* or so...search the archives and you will find something. Just
    grab a 10 pack of floppies and copy the disk sets you need...should
    work fine.

    --
    burton samograd kruhft .at. gmail
    kruhft.blogspot.com www.myspace.com/kruhft metashell.blogspot.com

  4. Re: Unix on an old laptop

    On Sat, 06 May 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.unix.misc, in article
    <87ejz7mre0.fsf@gmail.com>, Burton Samograd wrote:

    >"Nori" writes:
    >
    >> I recently acequired an old laptop. It has 1G of hard drive space and
    >> 28M of RAM.

    >You have enough ram to install and old slackware distribution, maybe
    >3.* or so...search the archives and you will find something.

    Well, if the system is NOT going to be connected to any network, just go
    to ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/historic-linux/distributions/ and go nuts.

    >Just grab a 10 pack of floppies and copy the disk sets you need...should
    >work fine.

    Except that there hasn't been any support for (example, Slack 3.0) since
    roughly 1998. But hey, Slack 3.1 is only 81 floppies, and it's on Sunsite
    for free download. As is SLS 1.05, Red Hat 4.0... actually with 28 Megs,
    Red Hat 5.2 would even install as long as you don't use the Afterstep, or
    similar bloated window manager - AnotherLevel or FVWM or maybe even FVWM2
    should fit. Just remember that lack of support means that old holes have
    not been patched, and that does make these oldies a huge risk.

    In fact, http://www.distrowatch.com/ has over three hundred _current_
    distributions, some of which will also squeeze into that tiny memory.

    Old guy

  5. Re: Unix on an old laptop

    Begin <1146834043.778300.302440@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups. com>
    On 2006-05-05, Nori wrote:
    > I recently acequired an old laptop. It has 1G of hard drive space and
    > 28M of RAM. Before you ask it was free.

    You already asked this in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc, and it was
    answered there. What you're doing constitutes ``multiposting'' and is
    frowned upon. Please do choose where you ask with more care.

  6. Re: Unix on an old laptop

    On 2006-05-05, Nori wrote:
    > I recently acequired an old laptop. It has 1G of hard drive space and
    > 28M of RAM. Before you ask it was free. Anyway it is equiped with
    > windows 98se. I was wondering if there was anyway that I could get
    > unix onto this laptop. Oh also I should metion that it lacks any usb
    > ports and a cd drive. It does have a floppy disk drive so I was hoping
    > that there was some type of Unix/Linux that I could get onto there like
    > that. Thanks for your time.

    For this type of work, I'd actually recommend a BSD like OpenBSD,
    FreeBSD, or NetBSD. I like OpenBSD for it's simplicity, also NetBSD,
    FreeBSD is great and has support for a wide range of hardware, but
    OpenBSD and NetBSD are "leaner". You could even fit a working system
    on a single floppy and the installation is easy, requiring as little
    as 140mB for a rather full installation.

    I'm writing this presently on a circa-1998 laptop with 96Mb of RAM
    and 6Gb of disk, enjoying a graphical web browser, shell access to my
    home systems, streaming music from the 'Net with memory to spare and
    no real performance issues at all. OS is OpenBSD 3.7 (most recent
    release is 3.9). I use FluxBox for a lightweight X-Windows manager.

    Enjoy your old hardware - it's great stuff.

    /dmfh

    ----
    __| |_ __ / _| |_ ____ __
    dmfh @ / _` | ' \| _| ' \ _ / _\ \ /
    \__,_|_|_|_|_| |_||_| (_) \__/_\_\
    ----

  7. Re: Unix on an old laptop

    Nori wrote:
    > I recently acequired an old laptop. It has 1G of hard drive space and
    > 28M of RAM. Before you ask it was free. Anyway it is equiped with
    > windows 98se. I was wondering if there was anyway that I could get
    > unix onto this laptop. Oh also I should metion that it lacks any usb
    > ports and a cd drive. It does have a floppy disk drive so I was hoping
    > that there was some type of Unix/Linux that I could get onto there like
    > that. Thanks for your time.
    > Nori

    I assume you have the i386 kind. I know of two distributions that should
    work, netbsd and slackware linux, and I assume openbsd would also.

    Your machine is older, so a older version might be recommended due to
    the memory constraints, and because you want to use floppies. At 28M,
    you may have touble running X windows, or some X programs - notably
    mozilla - won't be able to run.

    Slackware 3.x - 4.0 I am familiar with, they are available in archive
    from ftp.slackware.com. 3.4, I think, still has a floppy install. I have
    most of these dist. myself of CD so I can verify that if necessary.

    Netbsd 1.5, 1.7, and maybe 2.0 also have a floppy install.

    Hope this helps you.

    John Derry

  8. Re: Unix on an old laptop

    >> I recently acequired an old laptop. It has 1G of hard drive space
    >> and 28M of RAM. Before you ask it was free. Anyway it is equiped
    >> with windows 98se.

    A machine like that sounds like it probably has a PCMCIA PC Card slot.
    After using a boot floppy, there's a number of Unix systems (NetBSD,
    Debian GNU/Linux, et.al.) that can then utilize Ethernet PCMCIA
    adaptors to download the rest of the installation from the network.

    --
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread