limit process to processor - Unix

This is a discussion on limit process to processor - Unix ; HI all, Can someone please help me out? Is there a way to limit a process to run on only one processor on a multiprocessor SUN box. I read you can use psrset to create processor sets, but then what? ...

  1. limit process to processor

    HI all,

    Can someone please help me out? Is there a way to limit a process to run
    on only one processor on a multiprocessor SUN box. I read you can use
    psrset to create processor sets, but then what? The system is on Solaris
    9. Thanks for the help!

    Mike

  2. Re: limit process to processor

    On Wed, 3 May 2006, Mike wrote:

    > Can someone please help me out? Is there a way to limit a process to run on
    > only one processor on a multiprocessor SUN box. I read you can use psrset to
    > create processor sets, but then what? The system is on Solaris 9. Thanks for
    > the help!

    You can use pbind, but I have to ask why do you want to do this? Solaris'
    scheduler is pretty good...

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

  3. Re: limit process to processor

    On Wed, 03 May 2006 19:24:01 +0000, Mike wrote:

    > HI all,
    >
    > Can someone please help me out? Is there a way to limit a process to run
    > on only one processor on a multiprocessor SUN box. I read you can use
    > psrset to create processor sets, but then what? The system is on Solaris
    > 9. Thanks for the help!

    Yes, a fairly big subject.

    have a look a SRM (Solaris Resource Manager) on http://docs.sun.com

    --
    Bruce

    "The internet is a huge and diverse community and
    not every one is friendly"
    http://www.ytc1.co.uk

  4. Re: limit process to processor

    Well use

    psrset -c 2 3 (put processors 2 & 3 in a processor set
    which is created - the command returns the processor set ID).

    Then use:
    psrset -b

+ Reply to Thread