Manual Synopsis Syntax for Alternative Groups of Arguments - Unix

This is a discussion on Manual Synopsis Syntax for Alternative Groups of Arguments - Unix ; If I have a shell level program, prog, that may have arguments prog -a b -c d or alternatively prog -e f -g h how would I write that in the manual synopsis? Would it be prog (-a b -c ...

  1. Manual Synopsis Syntax for Alternative Groups of Arguments

    If I have a shell level program, prog, that may have arguments
    prog -a b -c d
    or alternatively
    prog -e f -g h
    how would I write that in the manual synopsis?
    Would it be
    prog (-a b -c d) | (-e f -g h)
    ?

    Thanks,
    Peter.

  2. Re: Manual Synopsis Syntax for Alternative Groups of Arguments

    On 28 Apr 2006 08:39:53 -0700, MajorSetback@excite.com wrote:
    > If I have a shell level program, prog, that may have arguments
    > prog -a b -c d
    > or alternatively
    > prog -e f -g h
    > how would I write that in the manual synopsis?
    > Would it be
    > prog (-a b -c d) | (-e f -g h)
    > ?

    prog -a b -c d
    prog -e f -g h

    --
    Stephane

  3. Re: Manual Synopsis Syntax for Alternative Groups of Arguments

    Stephane Chazelas wrote:
    > On 28 Apr 2006 08:39:53 -0700, MajorSetback@excite.com wrote:
    > > If I have a shell level program, prog, that may have arguments
    > > prog -a b -c d
    > > or alternatively
    > > prog -e f -g h
    > > how would I write that in the manual synopsis?
    > > Would it be
    > > prog (-a b -c d) | (-e f -g h)
    > > ?

    > prog -a b -c d
    > prog -e f -g h
    >
    > --
    > Stephane

    Thanks but what if you have a bunch of options as well like
    prog -a b -c d [-w x -y z -q r -s t]
    prog -e f -g h [-w x -y z -q r -s t]
    Is there no way of compacting this synopsis?

    Thanks,
    Peter.

  4. Re: Manual Synopsis Syntax for Alternative Groups of Arguments

    On 28 Apr 2006 10:21:33 -0700
    MajorSetback@excite.com wrote:

    > Stephane Chazelas wrote:
    > > On 28 Apr 2006 08:39:53 -0700, MajorSetback@excite.com wrote:
    > > > If I have a shell level program, prog, that may have arguments
    > > > prog -a b -c d
    > > > or alternatively
    > > > prog -e f -g h
    > > > how would I write that in the manual synopsis?
    > > > Would it be
    > > > prog (-a b -c d) | (-e f -g h)
    > > > ?

    > > prog -a b -c d
    > > prog -e f -g h
    > >
    > > --
    > > Stephane

    > Thanks but what if you have a bunch of options as well like
    > prog -a b -c d [-w x -y z -q r -s t]
    > prog -e f -g h [-w x -y z -q r -s t]
    > Is there no way of compacting this synopsis?

    One or none of alternatives: [ this | that | other ]
    Exactly one of alternatives: { this | that | other }

    --
    Magnus

  5. Re: Manual Synopsis Syntax for Alternative Groups of Arguments

    M. ┼hman wrote:
    > On 28 Apr 2006 10:21:33 -0700
    > MajorSetback@excite.com wrote:
    >

    > > Stephane Chazelas wrote:
    > > >
    > > > prog -a b -c d
    > > > prog -e f -g h
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Stephane

    > > Thanks but what if you have a bunch of options as well like
    > > prog -a b -c d [-w x -y z -q r -s t]
    > > prog -e f -g h [-w x -y z -q r -s t]
    > > Is there no way of compacting this synopsis?

    > One or none of alternatives: [ this | that | other ]
    > Exactly one of alternatives: { this | that | other }

    Ah, that's whay I was looking for.

    Thanks,
    Peter.

+ Reply to Thread