Dynamic path for shared libraries - Unix

This is a discussion on Dynamic path for shared libraries - Unix ; Hi there, Is there a way in which I can specify at runtime to an application the locations of shared dynamic libraries on which it depends? I do not want to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH or other LD constructs. My Shared libraries ...

  1. Dynamic path for shared libraries

    Hi there,
    Is there a way in which I can specify at runtime to an application
    the locations of shared dynamic libraries on which it depends? I do
    not want to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH or other LD constructs.
    My Shared libraries can be placed any place on the system by the end
    user and I would like to use shared libraries from that location as
    specified by user in a config file or as command line arguments .
    I needed this, since I want my applications to be very portable
    across platforms and install locations. Can I implement such a
    functionality from outside my application i.e. do I need to add code
    within my application to support such a scenario or does UNIX provide
    me some means ?

    My question is two-fold:
    1. Can something that achieves this be built into my make build system?
    2. How portable would such a solution be across the various UNIX
    platforms ?

    I would really appreciate all the help I can get on this. Thanks your
    time..

    Dhanvi

  2. Re: Dynamic path for shared libraries

    "Apprentice" writes:

    > Is there a way in which I can specify at runtime to an application
    > the locations of shared dynamic libraries on which it depends?

    Please learn to cross-post instead of multi-posting, look for
    answers in comp.unix.programmer.

    Cheers,
    Remove /-nsp/ for email.

+ Reply to Thread