Need Unix help - Unix

This is a discussion on Need Unix help - Unix ; I am not a network administrator but want to learn. I have a bit of experience in technical support, sales and computer consulting (aka troubleshooting). I installed a sniffer appon my Win CE device and want to know what this ...

  1. Need Unix help

    I am not a network administrator but want to learn. I have a bit of
    experience in technical support, sales and computer consulting (aka
    troubleshooting).

    I installed a sniffer appon my Win CE device and want to know what this
    means.

    I set it so only direct packets are logged.

    Seq#: 1 Packet Size: 94 Time Stamp: Mar 10, 2006 13:32:57.552995
    Ethernet Header:
    0014f1103000 -> 0050daf5d1fb
    Type: 0800 (IP)
    IP Header:
    192.94.73.1 -> 10.128.100.121
    Protcol: 6 (TCP)
    Length: 80
    TCP Header:
    Ports: 22 (SSH) -> 1566
    Seq: 3917193949 (Hex: e97ba2dd)
    Ack: 74977730 (Hex: 047811c2)
    Hdr. Length: -32
    Flags: [ACK][PSH]
    Window Size: 33580
    Checksum: d6a6
    Urgent Ptr: N/A

    Packet Bytes
    0000 00 50 da f5 d1 fb 00 14 f1 10 30 00 08 00 45 00 .P........0...E.
    0010 00 50 5a 34 40 00 2c 06 7c 1b c0 5e 49 01 0a 80 .PZ4@.,.|..^I...
    0020 64 79 00 16 06 1e e9 7b a2 dd 04 78 11 c2 80 18 dy.....{...x....
    0030 83 2c d6 a6 00 00 01 01 08 0a 00 00 04 1e 00 08 .,..............
    0040 98 ac 00 00 00 15 f3 15 28 19 e4 e9 07 aa fa 31 ........(......1
    0050 65 0b b2 d1 47 5b 5d 05 a6 69 a8 90 51 91 e...G[]..i..Q.

    "The president didn't go into Iraq because the polls told him it was
    popular. As a matter of fact, the polls said just the opposite. But
    leadership isn't about polls. It's about making decisions you think are
    right and then standing behind those decisions.
    That's why America is safer with George W. Bush as president" (Arnold
    Schwarzenegger, 2004).

    Matthew 7:12 Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to
    them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

    Luke 9:23 Then he said to them all: If anyone would come after me, he
    must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.

  2. Re: Need Unix help

    On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.unix.misc, in article
    , Big Brother wrote:

    >I am not a network administrator but want to learn. I have a bit of
    >experience in technical support, sales and computer consulting (aka
    >troubleshooting).
    >
    >I installed a sniffer appon my Win CE device and want to know what this
    >means.

    It means you are posting to the wrong newsgroup. Try comp.protocols.tcp-ip

    Try finding a copy of "TCP/IP Illustrated Volume 1" by W.Richard Stevens
    (Addison Wesley, ISBN 0-201-63346-9, first published 1994, republished
    1996). It's an expen$ive text book for a college course, but it has what
    you need. You can also look at the various RFCs. Download the rfc-index
    at ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc-index.txt which also has text copies of
    the 4300+ RFCs. Starting points would be RFC0894, RFC0791, RFC0793 in
    that order. See also RFC1180.

    >Seq#: 1 Packet Size: 94 Time Stamp: Mar 10, 2006 13:32:57.552995
    >Ethernet Header:
    > 0014f1103000 -> 0050daf5d1fb
    > Type: 0800 (IP)

    RFC 0894 and the OUI list from IEEE.org would tell me that's an IP packet
    from a Cisco to 3Com.

    > 192.94.73.1 -> 10.128.100.121
    > Protcol: 6 (TCP)
    > Length: 80

    RFC0791 explains that

    >TCP Header:
    > Ports: 22 (SSH) -> 1566
    > Seq: 3917193949 (Hex: e97ba2dd)
    > Ack: 74977730 (Hex: 047811c2)
    > Hdr. Length: -32
    > Flags: [ACK][PSH]
    > Window Size: 33580
    > Checksum: d6a6
    > Urgent Ptr: N/A

    and RFC0793 for that. For an understanding about the contents of the packet,
    see documentation about the SSH protocol on any search engine.

    Old guy

  3. Re: Need Unix help

    Thanks. Sadly I am on a Windows CE device which cannot easily access
    websites, so I'm afraid your suggestions to surf the web will not work.

    On Sat, 11 Mar 2006, Moe Trin wrote:

    > Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 18:37:45 -0600
    > From: Moe Trin
    > Newsgroups: comp.unix.misc
    > Subject: Re: Need Unix help
    >
    > On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.unix.misc, in article
    > , Big Brother wrote:

    "The president didn't go into Iraq because the polls told him it was
    popular. As a matter of fact, the polls said just the opposite. But
    leadership isn't about polls. It's about making decisions you think are
    right and then standing behind those decisions.
    That's why America is safer with George W. Bush as president" (Arnold
    Schwarzenegger, 2004).

    Matthew 7:12 Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to
    them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

    Luke 9:23 Then he said to them all: If anyone would come after me, he
    must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.

  4. Re: Need Unix help

    Big Brother wrote:
    > Thanks. Sadly I am on a Windows CE device

    With pine as a newsreader?

    Martin
    --
    For the Snark's a peculiar creature, that won't
    Be caught in a commonplace way.

  5. Re: Need Unix help

    Begin
    On 2006-03-18, Martin Etteldorf wrote:
    > Big Brother wrote:
    >> Thanks. Sadly I am on a Windows CE device

    > With pine as a newsreader?

    OP is not posting from his wince toy. His host is a shell provider.

    Pine _can_ be made to not automatically top-post, by the way. Even if it
    couldn't, that still wouldn't be an excuse to do it anyway. (See RFC1855)