Question about Unix - Unix

This is a discussion on Question about Unix - Unix ; My dear friends I do apologize if this is off topic. But I question what systems many gas station cash registers are using and I question how they connect to the bank to change my credit/debit cards. This always fascinated ...

  1. Question about Unix

    My dear friends I do apologize if this is off topic. But I question what
    systems many gas station cash registers are using and I question how they
    connect to the bank to change my credit/debit cards. This always fascinated
    me. I see many of these places using modems. What baud are they? Then I
    see large retailers like Walmart using Fibre optics or osmething of the
    sort.

    John

    --
    Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth,
    where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break

  2. OT Troll Re: Question about Unix

    On comp.unix.questions, in <1138721165_10369@sp6iad.superfeed.net>, "Jeremiah" wrote:
    > Subject: Question about Unix
    > From: "Jeremiah"
    > Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 07:27:30 -0800
    > Newsgroups: comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.questions

    Well. I see that "John the Baptist Jr." is back, hiding behind
    yet another Biblical name.

    Told you he was a troll. From the Usenet Bible:

    "Thou Shalt Not Assist Trolls."

    Alan

    --
    http://home.earthlink.net/~alanconnor/contact.html
    see also: links.html and newsfilter.html

  3. Re: Question about Unix

    I once interviewed a guy and asked him a similar question.

    He claimed to have worked for the Air Force installing and configuring radar
    computer systems, but it was all classified, so he couldn't tell me anything
    that he had done.

    He also claimed to work for a company that installed point of sales systems
    for Texaco. I asked if they used dial-up or dedicated lines. He said he
    wasn't 'allowed' to say.

    Needless to say, he didn't get the job.

    The real answer doesn't really matter. All that has to be sent is the credit
    card number (16 chars), expiration date (4 chars) amount of the sale (7
    chars max) and the merchant ID. You're really only looking at under 100
    characters. Even at 110 baud, you're talking under ten seconds. More than
    that to dial and connect. Wait a few seconds and get a five or six char
    confirmation number.

    I would guess a 9600 baud modem could handle the entire load from the
    busiest Wally-world store.

    "Jeremiah" wrote in message
    > My dear friends I do apologize if this is off topic. But I question what
    > systems many gas station cash registers are using and I question how they
    > connect to the bank to change my credit/debit cards. This always

    fascinated
    > me. I see many of these places using modems. What baud are they? Then I
    > see large retailers like Walmart using Fibre optics or osmething of the
    > sort.
    >
    > John
    >
    > --
    > Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth,
    > where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break
    > in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven,
    > where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not
    > break in and steal (Matt 6:19-20).

    News==----

    Newsgroups

    =----

  4. Re: Question about Unix

    In article , Steve Foley wrote:
    > I would guess a 9600 baud modem could handle the entire load from the
    > busiest Wally-world store.

    In areas where broadband isn't used. thats eactly what
    merchants do. all of their POS terminals I/O goe to the backroom where
    a modem calls the Credit card service. Some stores keep their
    connection to the credit card service open during the whole day. Ditto
    for Debit card transactions (usually same company). I even had used
    serveral ATM machines that dialuped to their banks to handshake and
    pass info back and forth. ONe such ATM is in Torrington at Patco on
    Main Street.

    --

    From the Desk of the Sysop of:
    Planet Maca's Opus, a Free open BBS system. telnet://pinkrose.dhis.org

  5. Re: OT Troll Re: Question about Unix

    Alan Coner I need to pray for you.

    "Alan Connor" wrote in message
    > On comp.unix.questions, in <1138721165_10369@sp6iad.superfeed.net>,
    > "Jeremiah" wrote:
    >> Subject: Question about Unix
    >> From: "Jeremiah"
    >> Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 07:27:30 -0800
    >> Newsgroups: comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.questions

    > Well. I see that "John the Baptist Jr." is back, hiding behind
    > yet another Biblical name.
    >
    > Told you he was a troll. From the Usenet Bible:
    >
    > "Thou Shalt Not Assist Trolls."
    >
    > Alan
    >
    > --
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~alanconnor/contact.html
    > see also: links.html and newsfilter.html
    > Other URLs of possible interest in my headers.

  6. Re: Question about Unix

    "Steve Foley" wrote in message
    >I once interviewed a guy and asked him a similar question.
    >
    > He claimed to have worked for the Air Force installing and configuring
    > radar
    > computer systems, but it was all classified, so he couldn't tell me
    > anything
    > that he had done.
    >
    > He also claimed to work for a company that installed point of sales
    > systems
    > for Texaco. I asked if they used dial-up or dedicated lines. He said he
    > wasn't 'allowed' to say.
    >
    > Needless to say, he didn't get the job.

    I guess some military people have a hard time getting employed.

    > The real answer doesn't really matter. All that has to be sent is the
    > credit
    > card number (16 chars), expiration date (4 chars) amount of the sale (7
    > chars max) and the merchant ID. You're really only looking at under 100
    > characters. Even at 110 baud, you're talking under ten seconds. More than
    > that to dial and connect. Wait a few seconds and get a five or six char
    > confirmation number.
    >
    > I would guess a 9600 baud modem could handle the entire load from the
    > busiest Wally-world store.

    But what are most companies using? 56K modems or do you think there are
    plenty of old 2400 baud modems out there? Or is the bank using a 2400 baud
    modem to answer the calls?

    John

    > "Jeremiah" wrote in message
    >> My dear friends I do apologize if this is off topic. But I question what
    >> systems many gas station cash registers are using and I question how they
    >> connect to the bank to change my credit/debit cards. This always

    > fascinated
    >> me. I see many of these places using modems. What baud are they? Then
    >> see large retailers like Walmart using Fibre optics or osmething of the
    >> sort.
    >>
    >> John
    >>
    >> --
    >> Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth,
    >> where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break
    >> in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven,
    >> where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not
    >> break in and steal (Matt 6:19-20).

    > News==----
    >> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+

    > Newsgroups

    > =----

  7. Re: Question about Unix

    "B'ichela" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > Steve Foley wrote:
    >> I would guess a 9600 baud modem could handle the entire load from the
    >> busiest Wally-world store.

    > In areas where broadband isn't used. thats eactly what
    > merchants do.

    Yes there are plenty of remote areas out there. My hometown was one, until
    recently when broadband came to town. But cell phone service does not exist
    here (as of yet). But as soon as I find a good job I am moving to the city.

    all of their POS terminals I/O goe to the backroom where
    > a modem calls the Credit card service.

    Does this go over the Internet, or is this a modem to modem connection?