Looking for a decent SSH client for Windows 98 - Unix

This is a discussion on Looking for a decent SSH client for Windows 98 - Unix ; I downloaded Putty which is okay, but is weak compared to the Mac ssh CLIENT called MacTelnet available here. http://www.mactelnet.com/ Is there a Windows 98 free SSH client that can compete with MacTelnet? John -- http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/ John 7:38 Whoever believes ...

  1. Looking for a decent SSH client for Windows 98

    --
    http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/
    John 7:38
    Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has
    said, streams of living water will flow from within him."

  2. Re: Looking for a decent SSH client for Windows 98

    "John the Baptist Jr." writes:
    > I downloaded Putty which is okay, but is weak compared to the Mac ssh CLIENT
    > called MacTelnet available here.
    >
    > http://www.mactelnet.com/
    >

    > Is there a Windows 98 free SSH client that can compete with
    > MacTelnet?

    If you want free, your Windows choices are putty and the commandline
    openssh via cygwin.

    If you want best in class, toss a benjamin at VanDyke software and
    enjoy their incredibly wonderful SecureCRT product.
    http://vandyke.com/products/securecrt/index.html

    If you want MacTelnet, you may have to use your Mac.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Looking for a decent SSH client for Windows 98

    In comp.security.ssh John the Baptist Jr. wrote:
    > I downloaded Putty which is okay, but is weak compared to the Mac ssh CLIENT
    > called MacTelnet available here.

    > http://www.mactelnet.com/

    > Is there a Windows 98 free SSH client that can compete with MacTelnet?

    I've never used MacTelnet. Can you provide a list of features that it
    has that you see as missing in the other products?

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  4. Re: Looking for a decent SSH client for Windows 98

    John the Baptist Jr. wrote:
    > I downloaded Putty which is okay, but is weak compared to the Mac ssh CLIENT
    > called MacTelnet available here.
    >
    > http://www.mactelnet.com/
    >

    > Is there a Windows 98 free SSH client that can compete with MacTelnet?

    Take a look here at some pages I wrote

    http://www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/~drkirkby/2003-ssh/

    and specifically the links on the left about a semi-free client.

    The pages are quite old, so a bit out of date, but much of the
    information is probably still valid.

    --
    Dave K

  5. Re: Looking for a decent SSH client for Windows 98

    In comp.security.ssh John the Baptist Jr. :
    > I downloaded Putty which is okay, but is weak compared to the Mac ssh CLIENT
    > called MacTelnet available here.

    > http://www.mactelnet.com/

    > Is there a Windows 98 free SSH client that can compete with MacTelnet?

    LOL...Thx pretty good one (Subject)!

    What about installing a decent OS in the first place? Linux, *BSD,
    pick your choice.

    #bofh excuse 466: last entry

  6. Re: Looking for a decent SSH client for Windows 98

    "Michael Heiming" wrote in message
    > In comp.security.ssh John the Baptist Jr. :
    >> I downloaded Putty which is okay, but is weak compared to the Mac ssh
    >> CLIENT
    >> called MacTelnet available here.

    >> http://www.mactelnet.com/

    >> Is there a Windows 98 free SSH client that can compete with MacTelnet?

    > LOL...Thx pretty good one (Subject)!
    >
    > What about installing a decent OS in the first place? Linux, *BSD,
    > pick your choice.

    If it gets done for Linux/UNIX, it can be ported to Windows CygWin. The
    interface is the good part of MacTelnet.

    If you need the best user interface, then SecureCRT is about as good as it
    gets for Windows. For cheap and good, Putty is about as good as it gets for
    Windows.

+ Reply to Thread