Whats the Unix command? - Unix

This is a discussion on Whats the Unix command? - Unix ; I am using MacOSX. Whats the command to see who is logged into my machine and what they are doing? As of know my Jornada 720 is logged in via FTP. John -- John 1:6-9 There came a man who ...

  1. Whats the Unix command?

    --
    John 1:6-9 There came a man who was sent from God;
    his name was John. He came as a witness to testify

  2. Re: Whats the Unix command?

    John the Baptist Jr. wrote:
    > I am using MacOSX. Whats the command to see who is logged into my
    > machine and what they are doing? As of know my Jornada 720 is logged in
    > via FTP.

    ps -a might be what you're looking for. man ps for more options.

    Ed.

  3. Re: Whats the Unix command?

    On 2006-01-22, John the Baptist Jr. wrote:
    > I am using MacOSX. Whats the command to see who is logged into my
    > machine and what they are doing? As of know my Jornada 720 is logged in
    > via FTP.

    There are various commands, including who, w, ps, top, etc.....

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

  4. Re: Whats the Unix command?

    On comp.unix.questions, in , "John the Baptist Jr." wrote:
    > Subject: Whats the Unix command?
    > From: "John the Baptist Jr."
    > Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 18:46:41 -0800
    > Newsgroups: comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.questions

    Last thing we need is more fearmongering psuedo-Christians (who
    claim to follow Jesus yet ignore almost everything He said)
    cluttering up the Internet.

    I think it is better if you don't acquire any real computer
    skills or learn to use a decent operating system like Unix.

    No, I don't have to read any of your psuedo-Christian posts to
    know where you are coming from.

    Are you not leading off with a lie? You are _not_ the son of
    John the Baptist.

    And are you not hiding behind that psuedonym?

    Could it be that you don't want anyone to know how you really
    live and how wretched you are. How your beliefs don't do
    anything to help you at all?

    That you are doing a "Wizard of Oz", spinning feeble illusions
    of happiness on the Internet?

    Why else?

    Just paranoia?

    If your beliefs can't give you courage and honesty and freedom
    from fear, what good are they?

    Alan

    --
    http://home.earthlink.net/~alanconnor/contact.html
    see also: links.html and newsfilter.html

  5. Re: Whats the Unix command?

    In article ,
    Ed Morton wrote:

    > ps -a might be what you're looking for. man ps for more options.
    >
    > Ed.

    Thank you very much. I will give that one a shot.

    PID TT STAT TIME COMMAND
    4795 p1 Ss 0:00.02 login -pf jwolf6589
    4796 p1 S 0:00.04 -bash
    4811 p1 R+ 0:00.01 ps -a

    It did not show that my Jornada was connected.

    ibookg4:~ jwolf6589$ w
    22:39 up 3 days, 13:38, 2 users, load averages: 0.40 0.51 0.59
    USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE WHAT
    jwolf658 console - Wed09 3days -
    jwolf658 p1 - 22:38 - w
    ibookg4:~ jwolf6589$ who
    jwolf658 console Jan 18 09:02
    jwolf658 ttyp1 Jan 21 22:38
    ibookg4:~ jwolf6589$

    Hmm..

    Maybe Unix cant do what I want.

    John
    --
    John 1:6-9 There came a man who was sent from God;
    his name was John. He came as a witness to testify
    concerning that light, so that through him all men
    might believe. He himself was not the light; he came
    only as a witness to the light.
    CERM-Church Education Resource Ministries
    http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/

  6. Re: Whats the Unix command?

    In article ,
    "Chris F.A. Johnson" wrote:

    > There are various commands, including who, w, ps, top, etc.....

    None gave me what I wnated. But I will play with them more.

    Thank you.

    John
    --
    John 1:6-9 There came a man who was sent from God;
    his name was John. He came as a witness to testify
    concerning that light, so that through him all men
    might believe. He himself was not the light; he came
    only as a witness to the light.
    CERM-Church Education Resource Ministries
    http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/

  7. Re: Whats the Unix command?

    On 2006-01-22, John the Baptist Jr. wrote:
    > In article ,
    > "Chris F.A. Johnson" wrote:
    >
    >> There are various commands, including who, w, ps, top, etc.....

    > None gave me what I wnated.

    What, exactly, do you want?

    > But I will play with them more.

    Have you looked at the options to the commands?

    Have you tried, for example:

    ps -ef

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

  8. Re: Whats the Unix command?

    Alan Connor (i3x9mdw@j9n35c.invalid) wrote:

    > On comp.unix.questions, in
    > , "John the
    > Baptist Jr." wrote:
    >
    > Last thing we need is more fearmongering psuedo-Christians (who
    > claim to follow Jesus yet ignore almost everything He said)
    > cluttering up the Internet.
    >
    > I think it is better if you don't acquire any real computer
    > skills or learn to use a decent operating system like Unix.
    >
    > No, I don't have to read any of your psuedo-Christian posts to
    > know where you are coming from.
    >
    > Are you not leading off with a lie? You are _not_ the son of
    > John the Baptist.
    >
    > And are you not hiding behind that psuedonym?
    >
    > Could it be that you don't want anyone to know how you really
    > live and how wretched you are. How your beliefs don't do
    > anything to help you at all?
    >
    > That you are doing a "Wizard of Oz", spinning feeble illusions
    > of happiness on the Internet?
    >
    > Why else?
    >
    > Just paranoia?
    >
    > If your beliefs can't give you courage and honesty and freedom
    > from fear, what good are they?
    >

    > Alan

    While I can understand your sentiments, and largely agree with them as well,
    I'd still like to suggest nonetheless that we try to keep this group free
    of flamewars.

    And incidentally, it's really not necessary to include the entire header of
    the original article in your followup.

    Thank you.

    --
    Conrad J. Sabatier -- "In Unix veritas"

  9. Re: Whats the Unix command?

    On comp.unix.questions, in , "Conrad J. Sabatier" wrote:
    > From: "Conrad J. Sabatier"
    > Subject: Re: Whats the Unix command?
    > Newsgroups: comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.questions
    > Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 01:10:59 -0600

    Followup cancelled.

    Apparently, you are another fool with a computer that imagines
    that everyone needs their approval or consent to say what they
    feel needs saying.

    Wrong.

    Alan

    --
    http://home.earthlink.net/~alanconnor/contact.html
    see also: links.html and newsfilter.html

  10. Re: Whats the Unix command?

    On comp.unix.questions, in , "Bill Marcum" wrote:

    Darn. I was hoping that you killfiled me. Sure did get sick of
    your bitchy sniping.

    That's why I killscored _you_.

    I suppose that you are going on about me posting off-topic,
    but I didn't start it.

    The OP uses his From: header as a Subject: header. That's a
    sneaky abuse of Usenet protocol.

    His name is obviously NOT "John the Baptist Jr." and he chose
    that name to make a statement.

    In his headers he claims that he belongs to the Organization:
    Heaven, to further hammer in his point.

    Since he is using his From: header as Subject: header and is
    posting on a Unix group, he should call himself "unixlover" or
    something like that.

    Or, he could quit phukking around like a stupid child and quit
    hiding like a paranoid twit/petty criminal and just use his name.

    But I'd bet my life that he hides behind many aliases, because
    of course, Jesus taught us that all those who spread His message
    must be rude, dickless, motormouthed punks, right?

    Alan

    --
    http://home.earthlink.net/~alanconnor/contact.html
    see also: links.html and newsfilter.html
    Other URLs of possible interest in my headers.

+ Reply to Thread